Complaint Review: Allied Insurance Agency

• Submitted: Mon, February 20, 2006
  • Updated: Mon, February 20, 2006

• Reported By:Dundalk Maryland
Allied Insurance Agency
7840 Eastern Ave Baltimore, Maryland U.S.A.

Allied Insurance Agency ripoff incorrect no information by employees Baltimore Maryland

In Oct 2005 got notice from Progressive that rates were increasing. Allied was my broker. Called them on Nov 11 for a better rate somewhere. I was looking, too as policy was up Dec 17, 2005. I was told by an Allied Insurance agent not to pay next bill since it would be the first installment on new policy. Been paying all the time on time thru the computer and was, as far as the computer and I were concerned, up to date.

Well Allied never called me and I went to another insurance company. I threw away the bills when I received them.

On February 16, 2006 I get a collection letter from Credit Collection Service for Progressive. I couldn't believe it. So I called Progressive and they were very polite and nice and told me that a manager would call me back. Then I called Allied. Talked first to a manager, told her I was instructed not to pay since I paid a month in advance and to wait for call--which I never got. She said she needed to pull my account. OK. Then Allied calls me and it's not the manager but the agent who calls.

GREAT! Told her my story. She agreed that she didn't call me but then says, "Yes I did, on Dec 22". "But our offices were closed. Did you leave a message?" I inquired. "NO", was the response. Ok, I'm good, but I have yet to figure out how to tell that a company has called by the ring that I didn't hear. Then I said "Why didn't you call before? The policy was up on the 17th, and you hadn't called until the 22nd, and did not even leave a message. I don't understand." Her response -at which I am still amazed - "I couldn't do any better so I figured if you got a bill and didn't like it you'd leave anyway!!". To which I could only reply "Well no courtesy call and I thought I was paid a month ahead? What do I do now?". "I don't know you'll have to call Progressive to find out."

Once the Manager from Progressive had called me back, he informed me that he has spoken with Allied. He also explained that when he talked to Allied, they admitted they instructed me not to pay as I was a month in advance. He said he 'sympathized with my situation', but that I was still obligated to this amount and there was nothing he could do except remove the late charges associated with the bill. However, anything further would have to be dealt with through the collections company.

I have since called the collections company (Credit Collection Services for those that missed it). The response I have gotten is almost laughable. You see, at the top of the notice is a 1-800 number, then hours of operation listed as Mon-Fri 8:30am-Midnight EST, touchtone 24 hours. Well I have called some 4 times, and it being between 1:30pm EST and 3:30pm EST, cannot for the life of me figure why I keep gettting a recording that tells me to call back during 'regular business hours'. I figured MAYBE they were closed for President's Day. But their website offers little assistance, as the only options were "payment in full", "credit card" and "check". There was not even a phone number listed.

I understand that perhaps Progressive is owed the amount, but however I think they should be collecting this from Allied, not me, as they are my broker (a representative of the insurance company, Progressive) who indicated to me that I was paid in full.

Pamela
Dundalk, Maryland

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/20/2006 02:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Allied-Insurance-Agency/Baltimore-Maryland-21222/Allied-Insurance-Agency-ripoff-incorrect-no-information-by-employees-Baltimore-Maryland-177188. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Allied Insurance Agency