Complaint Review: Allied Waste

• Updated: Wed, May 01, 2013

• Reported By: c_morse — Dalzell South Carolina
Allied Waste
1431 Sumter Highway Bishopville, South Carolina USA

Allied Waste Deceptive billing and erroneous charges not described or agreed to up-front Bishopville South Carolina

I got tired of taking my trash to the local dump, and decided it'd be a good idea to get a garbage collection service.  Choices were extremely limited... to one:  Allied Waste (Republic Services).  I gave the company a call to set up the service, and talked to a very helpful lady.

During that phone call, I set up service.  I was told I needed to pay up front to get my service started, so I did without giving it much though.  At no time was I given terms and conditions, nor (very important) did I sign an agreement.  The can was delivered (lid was cracked, but hey... it worked) within a couple of days, and we started our service.  I payed promptly when bills were due, and never made so much as a peep when they missed collection.  All-in-all, I'd consider myself a model customer.

Fast forward two years.  I have to PCS with the military, and I need to stop my service.  I call the company and inform them of the fact, at which time another helpful representative was kind enough to cancel the current cycle's charges and set up a pickup.  I was told that within seven days, the container would be collected from my residence.  Well, after about three weeks, I called again to get them to come and get the container.  Finally within a couple of days it was gone.  I also noticed a late fee on my account for the bill that was waived, so I asked at that time if they could waive it.  I was told yes, it would be no problem and that was that.

A couple of weeks later, I receive an email from the company for a new bill.  Upon clicking I now owe $41!!!  They didn't waive the $5 late fee (on a bill that was cancelled), then they charged me a late fee on that late fee, then they hit me with a $30 container removal fee, and also a fuel surchage for the collection!  I was beyond floored.

I called the company to inquire and all I could get out of the representative was that "everyone has to pay the container removal fee."  I made the lady aware that I wasn't notified up front about it, and basically got a "tough luck, now pay us."  I asked her to provide me proof that I had signed and agreed to their terms, which she insured me would get emailed out to me.  Five days later, after still not hearing anything, I called again.  Speaking to another lady I hoped I'd have more luck.  Nope.  "Everybody has to pay, no exceptions."  Even if I didn't sign or agree to terms?  "Yep, sorry 'bout your luck."

A few hours later I receive an email from a representative at the company entitled "Container Removal Charge" with an attached PDF.  I thought that perhaps my mind was slipping and I had signed something.  Nope.  They provided me a copy of the bill for the container removal fee and late charges.  Well that was helpful!

If you are thinking about signing up for services with this company, MAKE SURE that you get their terms and conditions up front so you know full well what you're getting into.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/01/2013 03:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Allied-Waste/Bishopville-South-Carolina-29010/Allied-Waste-Deceptive-billing-and-erroneous-charges-not-described-or-agreed-to-up-front-1047756. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Allied Waste