Complaint Review: Allstate Insurance For Home

• Submitted: Tue, November 28, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, January 16, 2007

• Reported By:blue springs Missouri
Allstate Insurance For Home
5732 N Broadway Kansas City, Missouri U.S.A.

Allstate Insurance For Home Allstate will not pay ligitimate claims ripoff Kansas City, Missouri

*Consumer Suggestion: Jennifer, answer to your question re "hard to believe what"

*Consumer Suggestion: Jennifer, you got caught in a lie. This simply does not happen.

*Consumer Comment: Been there

*Consumer Suggestion: You've missed the point

*Author of original report: Hard to believe what?

*Consumer Comment: Dave, I was thinking the same thing, UNLESS..

*Consumer Comment: I find this very hard to believe

Tornado with hail storm hits our town. We have 8 homes on our street alone. The following weeks we watch all our neighbors having their roofs replaced entirely. As well as every other home in the subdivision. There was obvious damage to our roof as well. Missing shingles, dents and damaged gutters.

We contact our insurance office Allstate to request an adjuster to come give us an estimate of repairs and make a claim.

An adjuster comes out, looks at the roof and comes to talk with me. She says she does not see a need for a replacement and that the repairs would cost us $950.00 which they would cover for a patch up job. Our deductible is $1000.00 of course.

I called the Allstate office requesting a second opinion. A week later THE SAME ADJUSTER was sent to our home. Same opinion and she suggested we file a complaint to headquarters to dispute the claim. We did. They said sorry, final word is what it was. I cancelled my policy with them immediately.

I got a quote and joined with American Family. They were $700.00 dollars a year cheaper and they immediately repaired the roof without hesitation. They saw the damage and agreed it needed a new roof to prevent leaking and possible cave in in the future.

Allstate does not want to pay claims and the charge a little more than most. Well this has been my experience.

Jennifer
blue springs, Missouri

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/28/2006 07:31 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Allstate-Insurance-For-Home/Kansas-City-Missouri-64118/Allstate-Insurance-For-Home-Allstate-will-not-pay-ligitimate-claims-ripoff-Kansas-City-Mi-222576. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Allstate Insurance For Home

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Jennifer, answer to your question re "hard to believe what"

AUTHOR: Steve [Not A Lawyer] - (U.S.A.)

Jennifer,

First, I have no problem with the basis of your report, as I too, dumped Allstate.

However, NO insurance company pays claims that originated before the date a policy was in force.
It simply does not happen, unless you file a fraudulent claim.

That claim was the legal obligation of Allstate, so why would any other insurance company pay the legal obligation of another company?

And, MOST homeowners insurance policies in effect today have a $1000 deductible. And, just because the other homes on your street all got new roofs, does not mean the homeowners did not come out of pocket heavily. And, the odds are great that one of the other homes on your street had Allstate.

And, you could have obtained an outside adjuster and taken your claim to arbitration.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Jennifer, you got caught in a lie. This simply does not happen.

AUTHOR: Steve [Not A Lawyer] - (U.S.A.)

Jennifer,

NO insurance company pays a claim on damage that occured prior to the policy being in effect. NONE. The insurance that was in effect at the time of the loss is obligated to honor the contract.

Think about it. WHY would any insurance company pay a claim that another insurance company is legally liable for? They are competitors! Do you see how stupid this is?

Having a complaint against Allstate is fine. But the lie is just too obvious to us who have worked in the industry.

The ONLY way the new insurance company paid is if you falsified a claim.

Been there

AUTHOR: Tony - (U.S.A.)

I was an Allstate customer 2 1/2 years, auto insurance only. The last 1.5 years, every time my six-month renewal notice arrived, the premium jumped an average of 18%. When I finally had enough, I took all my papers/policy/renewal notices to another insurance company. After looking everything over, they could not believe it. I was informed that they do not even consider that kind of rate hike even after a major "at-fault" accident.

Allstate is definately a major scam/ripoff/(fill in your own blank). I cannot understand why the attorney general has not at least "informally" investigated their buisness practices. Of course, there is the "insurance commission", or whatever they are called, that should have put this company away long ago, but I will refrain from speculating on "WHY" it hasn't happened.

For the record, all the time before, during, and after my time with allstate, clean driving record, excellent credit record, NEVER any accidents, NEVER filed a claim of any kind.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

You've missed the point

AUTHOR: Christine - (U.S.A.)

The point here is why would American Family cover an occurrence that happened prior to their coverage. This simply doesn't happen. If the tornado happened while you were covered by Allstate, and then you switched to American Family, then Allstate was still contracted to cover your losses that you incurred from the event.

Hard to believe what?

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

Tornadoes are not made up. The dates are recorded and when I provided video tape of the hail and damaging winds before I went to my basement along with my neighbors video footage I hardly believe I made up a fake tornado incident to get my roof replaced.

I just think Allstate could have made a better judgement call than to send the same adjuster out twice, second time she did not even get up on the roof, just gave us the same estimate and told us to have a good day. It was obviosly damaged to the extent of needing replaced. A more professional and concerned insurance company found that to be true immediatley.

I found a better insurance company with much better rates and much better customer service. I was already a customer with (((competitor's name redacted)))for life and auto insurance so that maybe a factor in them honoring my home claim.

Yes there was a deductible of $500.00 which was with (((redacted))), Allstate wanted $1000.00 and refused to actually fix the roof, that a few shingles and boards would have done the job for $950.00.

Allstate overcharged for premiums and they just sucked. I am glad I did not just take it from the insurance company like a lot of people do. I don't pay my premium to an insurance company because I think its fun or I have nothing else to spend my money on.

Dave, I was thinking the same thing, UNLESS..

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Dave,

I was thinking the same thing as I know that no insurance will pay for damage that occured before the origination of the policy.

Then it occured to me that they probably filed a fraudulent claim by stating it happened at a later date.

And, what about the deductible? Did that new policy have no deductible? Or did they waive it?

Too many aspects of this story just don't add up.

I find this very hard to believe

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

Why would a new insurance company replace a roof on a house that was damaged before you had a policy with them? I find this story a bit hard to swallow.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC