Complaint Review: Alltel

• Submitted: Mon, February 09, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, February 25, 2009

• Reported By:Bayview Texas
Alltel
2200 Boca Chica Blvd,Ste.138 Brownsville, Texas U.S.A.

Alltel Only to see if a wireless modem (USB) work in my house cost me $300.00 deposit and $25.00 activation????? Brownsville Texas

*UPDATE Employee: Aplogy

*Consumer Comment: It's not a "connection fee"

January 31: I had the GREAT idea to stop at Alltel and ask for an USB modem to have internet in my house I explained to the sales girl my reception at my house was bad and before any contract I would like to try the device. She said no problem but I have to buy it and if it doesn't work they would return my money. She asked me for a 300 dollar deposit plus the value of the device: 100 dollars.

After I tried the device and it didn't work in my house, I returned to the store the next day. They then exchanged my device for another model. I then tried the new model, and it didn't work either. So then I came back on Monday, the 2nd of February to return the second device. They told me to come back the following day because a mexican singer was signing autographs and they didn't have time for me.

So, I then returned to the store the following day. The sales person, Jessica, assured me the refund of the 300 dollars is going to take one week to be returned to me by the company. She said I had to come back when my check cleared. At that moment my check was still at the store... I said to them "Why don't you return me my check, and that'll be it?" They then said that they had to follow the rules and had to deposite my check.

When the check cleared a few days later, I came back to the store for my refund. Now I understood why they had to follow the rules; because they charged me 25 dollars for a connection fee??? After that the manager then said to me that 'she understands why I am upset.' but the computer didn't allow her to take my 25 dollars, and I had to then call customer services about the 300 dollar deposit... I had to wait a good 4 weeks for that... Now all you people who are reading this can make your own conclusions...

Patrick
Bayview, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/09/2009 07:51 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Alltel/Brownsville-Texas-78521/Alltel-Only-to-see-if-a-wireless-modem-USB-work-in-my-house-cost-me-30000-deposit-and-422220. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Alltel

Aplogy

AUTHOR: Rep For Cell Carrier - (U.S.A.)

Sir, I did apologize that his happend to they should of tooken care of you that day. Regarding the deposit, they can't refund the secruity deposit at the store but it is FInancial Service that will issue a check for the secruity deposit. The activation fee is usually non-refundable it does state that on you reciept, but as far as the mexican singer singing autographs and them telling you they have no time was inapporiate and Alltel apologizes for that. That representative should of taken the time to help you out.

It's not a "connection fee"

AUTHOR: Bikebryan - (U.S.A.)

You were charged a $25 ACTIVATION fee and this pretty common across the entire industry. The fee helps cover the cost of the credit check and few other sundries involved in provisioning and setting up the equipment.

And no, it's NOT refundable.

Besides, NOTHING is for free. If you expected that, you are a chump and I have a bridge to sell you over some cheap land in Florida.