• Report: #197886

• Submitted: Fri, June 23, 2006
  • Updated: Mon, January 05, 2009

• Reported By:Somewhere In South Carolina
Alltel
Building 4 Fifth Floor One Allied Dr Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.A.

Alltel ripoff called my home and gave my account info to unauthorized person who answered my phone Little Rock Arkansas

*Consumer Comment: Huh?

*Consumer Comment: Bikebryan your information is INCORRECT...

*Consumer Comment: You're lying and here's how to tell.

*Consumer Comment: No Violation here....

*Author of original report: Still no acknowledgement of my complaint

I am a brand new Alltel customer, having just signed up in May. Alltel has already p*ssed me off, and does not seem to have any concern for what I consider to be a very serious issue. I want to start by admitting that my first bill was unexpectedly more enormous than I had expected and unfortunately, I had some unexpected financial setbacks. Thus, I was not able to pay my bill by the May 23 due date (however, I paid it in full on June 2 and paid my last one on time).

On Saturday, May 27, an Alltel rep called my home. Someone else who was at my home answered the phone and this rep proceeded to just reel right off to them my personal account info including the amount of my bill, when it was due, and the fact that it was overdue. There is NO ONE else authorized to have access to my account--NO ONE!!! Two days later the person who took the call at my home told me about it and then handed me a copy of my online account info. I was absolutely furious that a company that requires me to verify WHO I AM when I call them would be so careless and irresponsible! This was a blatant breach of my privacy and I just knew that Alltel would be very concerned about something like this happening and would be very apologetic about it.

I sent a detailed email message (my preferred mode of communication today that ensures that I have a copy of proof that I had followed up on a concern). I sent my first message on June 12 regarding what had happened and received the generic response, "We have received your email..." I then received another generic email apologizing for the delay in answering my question... I resent my email complaint again on Monday, June 19, and John H. responded with another generic, "We apologize in the delay but we are experiencing higher than normal email volumes..." When I got no response to my second email, I called Alltel. After 25 minutes of their annoying music blaring in my ear, I hung up. If I had done something like ths in my job, I would have been cut up and fed to sharks THE VERY FIRST DAY! I cannot believe that a company would allow this to happen to a customer and then keep putting me off when I try to get some answers!

Melanie
Somewhere In, South Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/23/2006 07:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Alltel/Little-Rock-Arkansas/Alltel-ripoff-called-my-home-and-gave-my-account-info-to-unauthorized-person-who-answered-197886. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Alltel

Huh?

AUTHOR: Bikebryan - (U.S.A.)

OK, so you confirmed what I wrote while trying to refute me. I never stated any personal information was revealed; she did. What she stated was given out was acct balance, due date and the fact that it was late. None of the is Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI); CPNI is protected but what she stated is not. ANYBODY can be given acct balance and due dates (and if the balance is still there and it's after the due date, it's obviously LATE).

She also stated they had a copy of her online information, which was NOT obtained from anybody at Alltel. NOBODY at Alltel can see the login information for My Acct. When somebody asks about getting help logging on, they are sent the User ID but the CS rep never sees it; they just request it be texted out. Nor do we see or send out ANY passwords. So I know she was lieing when she blamed Alltel for that.

So reread what SHE posted before lambasting ME.

Bikebryan your information is INCORRECT...

AUTHOR: Jf :( - (U.S.A.)

In response to:

No Violation here....
Although you may be upset, no private information was shared. ANYBODY can be given the acct balance and due date - period. That is an FCC rule and not a violation of any privacy laws. Sorry you were so upset, but you were wrong in your complaint.

Next time, KNOW what rules you think are being broken before complaining.

BIKEBRYAN, NEXT TIME YOU MAY NEED TO KNOW YOUR RULES BEFORE YOU FILE A REBUTTAL. I CALL PEOPLE ON THEIR ACCOUNTS DAY IN AND DAY OUT. YOU HAVE TO CONFIRM YOU ARE SPEAKING WITH THE CLIENT, ADVISE IF THE CALL IS RECORDED AND YOU ALSO CANNOT LEAVE ANY PRIVILIDGED INFORMATION ON AN ANSWERING SERVICE. IF YOU DO SO, THIS IS A VIOLATION OF THE CLIENT'S PRIVACY. HENCE THE REASON FOR PRIVACY LAWS. WHY DO YOU ATTACK PEOPLE ON HERE? WE CAN TELL YOU ARE PRO-ALLTEL ALREADY! GET ON WITH IT MAN.

You're lying and here's how to tell.

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

"Two days later the person who took the call at my home told me about it and then handed me a copy of my online account info."

First off, neither the collection reps nor customer service reps know your online information. That is for the technical department only. The person in your home would have to know your user ID and your password to get into your online account. My guess is, you left that information lying around. Secondly, how do you know the person in your home didn't claim to be you? The collections rep doesn't know you from anyone else on the phone. This is why they verify information before they talk to anyone. Your friends and relatives are the only people who call and start talking as soon as you say hello because they recognize your voice.

Here's what happened. The rep called your house. Your roomate or whoever answered. The rep asked for you. The person there said "this is she" and the rep proceeded because the person in your home falsified their identity. Even if the rep just started rambling on about the bill without asking for you, the person in your home (assuming doesn't have an Alltel also) should have said " I am not the person you need to talk to, please call back", or something to that effect. Instead they proceeded to listen to your personal information knowing very well it wasn't any of their business.

You really should be blaming the person answering your phone. I'd be worried about them stealing your identity.

No Violation here....

AUTHOR: Bikebryan - (U.S.A.)

Next time, KNOW what rules you think are being broken before complaining.

AUTHOR: Melanie - (U.S.A.)

I resent my email again to Alltel on Friday night. I received a message back that it didn't "process" correctly. How convenient! Trying to get in touch with customer service has proven to be impossible. The closest I can get to any help is tech support whenever I call. If you call anywhere close to 7 pm, they will make sure you're on hold until after 7 pm so that they can transfer you to tech support where you can't get any "customer service" help. I had Verizon last and I never had this kind of trouble!