Complaint Review: Alltel

Alltel
Nationwide U.S.A.

Alltel is very crooked.

*0:

Notice: Dates in this report are approximate, not exact.

I signed up for an analog phone and plan in October 1999 through Kansas Cellular. At some point in the following year, Alltel bought out Kansas Cellular. The plan was a special promotion to Farm Bureau members. My father was a member and I was covered under his membership, so we used his account to qualify for the promo. The sales person understood this, and that my father's name was not to be used for anything else whatsoever. The credit check was in my name, etc.

Well, starting with the first bill, my father's name was on the account, but with my social security number. Numerous attempts were made to have it corrected, but despite the promises from Alltel staff it was never corrected. I dealt with it, since everything else seemed to be just fine.

In February 2001, I decided to get away from the large, bulky analog phone, and "upgrade" to a digital phone and rate plan. I received a Nokia 5180 series phone (which I also consider to be a piece of junk) that day. In August 2001, I noticed that Alltell still had me on my old rate plan. I realize that it was partially my fault since I never scrutinized the bill every month. I called and I was told that they had to speak with my father since it was his name on the account. My father was very irate over the entire situation since his name was not supposed to be on the account. They tried to tell him that even though I signed the new contract for the new rate plan, and received the new phone, that I had to call and tell them that I wanted the rate plan. That, of course, was a lie. I mean, you don't go sign the paperwork to buy a new car, receive the car, and then have to call to tell them you want the motor do you??? Of course not!!! They finally agreed to make the changes and correct the billings received since February.

Over the next month, the bills still were coming out wrong, although they did refund the money for charges that would not have been incurred under the new rate plan such as roaming. I gave up, and called to cancel. They had to speak with my father, of course. Ok. Let me get this straight. I can upgrade from a $20 plan to a $50 plan without my father's consent, but my father has to give consent to close the account. That makes no sense whatsoever.

To sum it up, I am away from Alltel forever, and very happy. I signed with Sprint PCS and have never been happier even though I have only been with them for 3 months.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/03/2001 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Alltel/nationwide/Alltel-is-very-crooked-8570. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Alltel