Complaint Review: Alltel

Alltel
Nationwide U.S.A.

Alltel sucks!

*Consumer Comment: Off topic responses

*Consumer Comment: marvin, not everyone is shallow in there thinking as you are about cell phone users.

*Consumer Comment: Cell Phones Blues

*Consumer Comment: No! I can't hear you know!

*UPDATE Employee: Be Realistic ..The problem you had could of been fixed in about 10 minutes.

My boyfriend and I each had Alltel service for about 3 years. They're rat bastards!

We have been bamboozled by their billing. Our bills were typically about $20 to $40 more a month than we thought they should be. We are too busy to go through the pages and pages of detail and reconcile the charges, but they don't seem right.

We've just been taking it because we like the convenience of having cell phones and don't have the time or energy to change. Plus: (a) we invested about $200 for each of our phones, (b) we LIKE our phones--we've become accustomed to where the buttons are and how they work, and we've purchased all the accessories, (c) we've programmed all the phone numbers we call, (d) our friends, family, and business associates rely on being able to reach us at these phone numbers, and (e) if we change companies we have to start over with new phones and new phone numbers. The bottom line is, they will say anything to get you to sign on the dotted line, because after you see the REAL bill, it's too late. It's such a hassle to argue with meatheads in customer service, and you know in the end they just have you by the short hairs. The marketing geniuses at Alltel figure you will just take it, and most do.

But the billing is not the worst of it. Not getting calls because Alltel is overselling the market is unacceptable. I can't even tell you how many times I have tried to call my boyfriend on his cell phone, only to find out that he didn't get my call.

It didn't show up on his Caller ID, it didn't show up as a missed call, nothing. And I can't tell you how many times friends, family, and business associates have called our home trying to get in touch with him because they couldn't reach him by cell phone.

Again, his phone didn't even ring, nothing on Caller ID, no missed call notification. It's ridiculous, and Alltel should be held accountable. Although I don't use my phone much, he used his extensively for business.

As a small business owner, he could have lost business by not getting his calls. And what if there were an emergency?! I don't think I need to go on.

We have cancelled our service with Alltel and are currently researching other companies for the best deal ( price, quality, etc.) Now after reading the Rip Off Report I'm scared to sign up with anyone. We love the convenience of cell phones, but are sick of being screwed! If you have any recommendations, let me know!!

Click here to read other Rip-off Reports on Alltel

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/29/2002 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Alltel/nationwide/Alltel-sucks-12774. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Alltel

Off topic responses

AUTHOR: Concerned - (U.S.A.)

The last two responses to this rip-off report have nothing to do with it! It is a complaint about alltel, and someone comes in and starts putting down cell phone users, which is an entirely different subject. The last response is then just a response to the previous, off topic response. They shouldn't be included here

AUTHOR: Bob - (U.S.A.)

.. you think i use a cell phone during sex,,my,my i'm not that stupid,my wife also uses hers while were having sex, what the heck since Alltel is screwing us already we might as well join in and use the phones during sex. This is a srvice to complain about alltel ripoffs not to talk about sex lives marvin. don't be mad at me cause your parents gave you a goofy name. have a great day and try to stay out of the sum down yonder, it makin you hazy

Cell Phones Blues

AUTHOR: Marvin - (U.S.A.)

This is to Bob - Bay City, Michigan
U.S.A., David - Waco, Texas,
"My boyfriend and I each had Alltel service for about 3 years. They're rat bastards"! whoever you are. As far as I care all of you can shove your cell phones up where the Sun don't shine. I get sick of having to lissen to a lot of gabbing on a cell phone wherever I go, from another driver, shoping, out to eat and even at Church. Most of you are sick, sick, sick, you cannot live without your cell phones, the first thing you do when you start you car is get on your cell phone, set down to eat is get on your cell phone and pray with your friends in Church on your cell phone, sick, sick, sick. I bet you go to bed with your cell phone and even try to have sex with someone on you cell phone, sick, sick, sick.

No! I can't hear you know!

AUTHOR: Bob - (U.S.A.)

i found a new reality show theme, have someone make a call to Alltell and try to resolve a billing problem. It will be as big as Joe Millionare, a bunch of runarounds and lies.

Also I was thrown out of the Saginaw Michigan Alltel branch for showing a potential customer on how they Billed me.

If you have nothing to do, go to your local Alltel and tell people how they ripped you off before they go inside. We should have a national Alltell rip off day and picket Alltell

oh and sue Alltell through an Arbitrioter (did i spell that right?) Don't forget in Arbitration you can sue Alltell 250.00 for breach of contract, like they would you. Have a great day and F Alltell

Be Realistic ..The problem you had could of been fixed in about 10 minutes.

AUTHOR: David - ()

First of all I understand your problems. I work for Alltel and here this all day. You see we have problems with customer service ourselves. But if you have a problem with your service anywhere make sure you talk to somone in person. The problem you had could of been fixed by me in about 10 minutes.

You have to understand that cell phone service everywhere will have there reception issues. People have to understand that these phones will not work like home phones so don't excpect them to. They work off a signal and sometimes there is alot of interuption because the digital signal can bounce off anythimg and screw with your reception no matter what we try to do.

If you get another company be ready for those problems. The reason people that have old phones have better luck is because it works off analog. But on analog they could not bring the national rate plans because analog only works off a frequency that does not alow charges to be sorted out from other companys.

Digital is clear and allows that option for all companys. But it has problems if there is not a digital tower it will not ring or you may not get every call all the times. Also, when you are looking for a cell phone ask which one comes back with least problems but you will have to pay more for it probaly.

So if you are thinking of buying a cell phone understand no matter where you go these problems will occur. Find out what company has been in the area longer because that means they have had time to purchase more area to but towers. In my area Alltel has been here longer and we are the best but not perfect.

Another thing, do not by those stickers they advertise on tv. A tech form motorola said it is like putting a piece of foil on your phone and does not work. I you by a phone motorola has been here for years and makes very good phones. Stay away from free nokias. There okay but do not last as long if you start to drop them on the ground. Kyocera is also a good phone.

Good Luck and sorry things did not work out but remember everything I have told you about cell phones.