Complaint Review: Al's Barbeque

• Updated: Wed, August 14, 2013

• Reported By: Meg — Marietta Georgia
Al's Barbeque
34 Powder Springs St. Marietta, Georgia USA

Al's Barbeque Al's BBQ Al is a thief and rips people off intentionally Marietta Georgia

My friend bought me 2 Living Social vouchers for Al's BBQ.  Each was for a party platter (pulled pork & chicken with 2 sides) to feed 8-12 people.  As instructed on the vouchers, I called Al to order the food more than 24 hrs. in advance.  He said I could pick it up on Sat. 4/13/13.  I arranged to pick it up at 4:30 p.m. and invited 20 people for a party.  At 1:30 pm that day, he called me and said his food truck had not come. I asked if he was cancelling on me and he would not acknowledge that but just kept repeating that his food truck didn't come, as if to blame it on the delivery company.  He asked me to call him the following week to reschedule.

I called & rescheduled to pick up Thurs. 5/16/13.  On Wed. 5/15 I called and Al said he had forgotten my order!  He said he didn't order the food in time for me to pick up Thurs. but that I could pick it up Fri. 5/17 at 5:30 pm.  On Fri. I called Al at 3:30 pm to check on it and was told by an employee that they didn't have any catering orders!  I asked for Al and was told that he is out of town with his kids.  The guy said there's nothing he can do, he doesn't know about the order.  I insisted that he have Al call me, that this was absolutely unacceptable for Al to do this to me twice.

About an hour later Al actually called me and gave me some bull about needing to spend $400 on food and a truck in order to fill just my order and he wasn't going to do that.  I accused him of being a liar and a crook and he told me to, "Have a nice life."  About 5 min. later my husband Scott arrived at Al's BBQ to check it out.  He went in and guess what, Al was there!  So he's got his employees lying for him too.  Scott then did something brilliant, he said he wanted to place an order for BBQ to feed 20 to pick up the next day. Al started writing up the order!  Scott then told Al who he was and asked how was it that he could fill his order but not my order.  Believe it or not, Al said because my order was from Living Social!!!  He also told Scott if he did fill my order that I would have to pay the difference between what my friend paid for the vouchers and the full price!

Al never had any intention of giving me the food.  He is ripping people off by taking the money for the vouchers and then not honoring them.  He clearly does not understand or care about how a 50% off deal works!  I Googled Al's and found a review from someone who tried to use a voucher there and Al wouldn't take it.  Apparently he thinks when people pay for vouchers that he just gets to keep the money and not provide the food!  There are other bad reviews of Al's on Yelp, etc.  Unfortunately Yelp won't display the review I wrote.  It seems they hide some of the negative ones to protect the businesses but you can find it if you look for the hidden ones.

I complained to Living Social and the GA Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs.  They both contacted Al and he lied to them.  He told them he couldn't fill my order because I refused to pay the tax which was required!  We never discussed paying the tax, which of course I would have paid.  He claims that if I paid the tax, he would be glad to fill my order.  There is no way I would ever eat at Al's now!  If he knew it was me, he'd probably do something bad to the food.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/14/2013 11:07 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Als-Barbeque/Marietta-Georgia-30064/Als-Barbeque-Als-BBQ-Al-is-a-thief-and-rips-people-off-intentionally-Marietta-Georgia-1075784. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Al's Barbeque