Complaint Review: Alta Tollhaus German Shepherds

• Updated: Mon, November 19, 2012

• Reported By: Michelle — Brooklyn Michigan United States of America
Alta Tollhaus German Shepherds
20250 17 Mile Rd, Marshall, Michigan United States of America

Alta Tollhaus German Shepherds Julie Mostosky Took money, failed to produce appropriate puppy, did not return deposit Marshall, Michigan

*Consumer Comment: Julie is a very respected breeder

*Consumer Comment: One of the best breeders of GSD's I have found

*Consumer Comment: Alta Tollhous GSD is a wonderful breeder

I really researched German shepherd breeders because I wanted to find a good one. I was looking for a very specific personality, and so I gave Julie Mostosky my "shopping list" of what I wanted in a puppy. I was looking for a medium drive pet that was outgoing, intelligent, non-hyper, and non-aggressive. I told Julie I like a dog that follows me from room to room. Julie assured me she could get me what I was looking for. I gave her $500. toward the puppy.

Julie emailed me and told me she had a puppy that was just what I was looking for. At the time of her email the puppy was 3 weeks. I wondered how someone could tell a puppy's tempermant, drive and personality at 3 weeks? So I met with the pup when it was 6 weeks really hoping it was what I wanted, as my old and beloved dog was dying of cancer and I really wanted a new dog.

Julie's helper that lives with her introduced us to the puppy. The first thing she told us was that the puppy was high drive and would be a good agility dog. The pup seemed very independent, going off to play by itself. It also squirmed and cried to be put down every time I tried to pick it up and bring it near me. It definitely did not seem like the outgoing wants-to-be-near-its-owner dog I was searching for.

I talked to Julie about my concerns but she kept saying the puppy was exactly what I wanted. I wanted to believe her, but my husband had videotaped my encounter with the pup, right down to the part where I said she was a little "spitfire", put her down and watched her run away. I kept watching that video and I knew she wasn't the pup for me.

I told Julie this wasn't the right pup and that I had been told different things about the pup's drive by her helper and that I had lost faith in her ability to match me with the right pup. I asked for my deposit back. I had never signed a contract. Julie kept pushing the pup on me and telling me to come see it again. I told her it wasn't fair for me to bring home a pup I had so many doubts about...it wasn't fair to me or to the puppy. Julie never returned my deposit. I feel she was dishonest with me from the moment she told me she had a three week old pup matching the description of what I was looking for.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/19/2012 09:07 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Alta-Tollhaus-German-Shepherds/Marshall-Michigan-49068/Alta-Tollhaus-German-Shepherds-Julie-Mostosky-Took-money-failed-to-produce-appropriate-p-971275. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Alta Tollhaus German Shepherds

Julie is a very respected breeder

AUTHOR: Michael - ()

i can't speak to this situation but I can attest to her breeding program and happy customers.  Many of the dogs that attend the Schutzhund club I go to are Fromm Er litters.  And she has referred several of her litter pup owners to me for obedience training.  All of the pups and dogs as they mature have great temperaments and she matched up the pups well whether they went to working or pet Homes.

Michael Burkey

One of the best breeders of GSD's I have found

AUTHOR: stearnsbd - ()

I have been involved with GSD's for 35+ years... I now have my 11th and 12th GSD both from Alta-Tollhaus. I have visited breeders in Europe and around the US. We train, show and promote GSD's. Comparing breeder to breeder we look for knowleg of the SV rules, sucesses from their breedings, do they show, do they train for IPO and most importantly how they keep their GSD's. Are they in a mud floor kennel or do they have proper secure housing? Generaly, are breeding only for the income or do they want to benifit the breed and improve the bloodlines?

Alta-Tollhaus and Julie Richards is one of the best we have found. They socilize the puppies. They screen the puppies. They go the extra mile to assure a healthy and well adjusted outcome.

Julie Richards has a execllent knowleg of the breed and the SV/AKC requirements. Her breeding program is producing some of the finest dogs in the country... We know because the female out of Gavin that we purchase has now placed 3rd at the WUSV National Conformation Show in Dallas and is on her way up... with a bullet!!

The temperment and drive is just as she described in both our purchase.

Alta-Tollhaus gets our highest recommendation and you are welcome to contact me to discuss any question you may have.

Brian Stearns

Roseville, CA 95661

Alta Tollhous GSD is a wonderful breeder

AUTHOR: GSD mama - ()

I do not agree with this consumer.  My husband has had GSD's all his life and has been to schutzhund and knows quite a bit about the GSD.  Recently our GSD passed March 1 of 2013.  It was very upsetting and I really wanted to wait at least a year to get another one as this was the first dog I myself had ever had and he was already 3 years old when I came around.  I was not a "big dog" fan.  My husband changed that though with the GSD.  I really did not think he could be replaced that no dog could be as good as him. My husband has been researching breeders for about 3 years now knowing ours was getting up there in age.  We found Julie and Alta Tollhaus on Facebook.  My husband was really pushing to get another puppy and I was not thrilled with the idea but he had his heart set on it.  So my husband emailed Julie and she had him fill out a paper asking what we were looking for in a dog.  My husband put down family pet, protector and easy to train.  Julie was very good at picking our puppy and picked him very early as well.  They did temperment testing and with all the years and experience she has would obviously know what a puppy will be like.  When we picked him up he did the same thing to us.  He sqiurmed around in our arms, ran from us and really only followed Julie.  My husband assured me that he would follow us and that he was "Julie's dog" at the time and he was use to her so obviously he isn't going to follow us.  We took him home and he is well adjusted.  Follows me everywhere I go.  He is such a good dog.  I couldn't have asked for a better breeder.  In fact, we are going to get a female from her this coming Saturday.  She is a very clean breeder and very into her GSD's.  You can tell she absolutely loves the breed and is good and well educated in what she does.  Kuddos to Julie and her business.  I recommend her to anyone and everyone and will continue to do so.  It really burns me to see someone say anything but positive about her.  And as far as a deposit goes, don't put one down when someone says that it is a nonrefundable deposit!  That is common sense.

GSD Mama