Complaint Review: Amazon.com

• Reported By: SP — New York New York United States of America
Amazon.com

Amazon.com Kindle--Defective Product Internet

*Consumer Comment: Really?

I recieved my Kindle as a gift last Christmas.  I didn't use it for the first six months, as I had a back-log of printed books that I wanted to read.  Once I started using it last summer, I can say that I really enjoyed it. However, about 6 months into regular use, and about 3 weeks after its 1-year warranty expired, it simply stopped working.  Despite it being fully charged, it will not turn on.  I called customer service, who had me go through a number of steps to no avail.  When I told them that I had purchased a number of books through Amazon that I still hadn't had the opportunity to read yet, they offered to send me a refurbished model for $71, which as far as I can tell, is more expensive than a totally new model.

I am very disappointed with Amazon's poor customer service and failure to take responsibility for what is clearly a defective product.  I have now lost all access to the 6 or 7 books that I have purchased, and the only way to regain access would be to dole out another $70. Given that I can't expect the next Kindle to last more than a year, and that I would need to repeat this cycle over and over again, this does not seem to be an economical proposition.

Save yourself the time and money and stick to real books, or try the Nook.  Barnes and Noble might be more considerate of their customers.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/30/2013 02:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Amazoncom/internet/Amazoncom-Kindle-Defective-Product-Internet-1006218. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Amazon.com

Really?

AUTHOR: Keri - (United States of America)

I don't see how this is such an issue.  The item was purchased some time ago, and then later given to you as a gift. You didn't use it for 6 months (which is more than many warranties nowdays, not including the time from purchase to gift) and then Amazon offers a discount refurb but that's a scam somehow? Even if you didn't use it, it lasted it's warrantied life expectancy.

Also, the books you bought aren't totally wasted.  If you really want to you can read them on your computer with Amazon's kindle application, or look online and find an easy way to convert them to any format you wish for your computer/phone/other eReader