Complaint Review: Amazon.com

• Updated: Sat, July 27, 2013

• Reported By: Chris — Washington Dist of Columbia
Amazon.com
Internet USA

Amazon.com Suspended Seller Account (for life, without opportunity to appeal) for Honest Mistake I Fixed Myself Before They Even Noticed Internet

https://SellerCentral.Amazon.com Case # Available Upon Request

Background:

I have been an Amazon.com customer since the 1990s and have bought and sold many thousands of dollars worth of merchandise on Amazon.com.

I am a dual US/Swedish citizen who lives part of the year in the US and part in Sweden. I came up with the brilliant idea of selling some of my old books from Sweden on Amazon.com, which allows sellers to offers international shipping to Europe, which is what I wanted to do because it's cheap to ship within the EU, but expensive for me to ship out of it.

I listed some of my books and clearly stated in the listings the items were only for sale to to people in the EU.

Problem:

I realize now, of course, it was a mistake to assume that buyers read the listings before clicking to buy. They don't (at least not in my experience).

Anyway, what happened was someone bought a book from outside the EU. I got the email notification and immediately emailed the buyer and told them, nicely, that I was sorry, but as the listing says, the item is only for sale to buyers in the EU and I have to cancel their order.

The first time it happened, I figured it was an anomaly, so I left my other books up for sale, but I did go in there and improve and capitalize the text saying the items were only for people in the EU.

Another order came in. Same problem. Same solution. Now I was concerned, but I figured I'd improve the text even more and try one more time.

Another order came in. Same problem. Different solution. After the third time, I decided that people the situation was unsalvageable, that people will continue to order and I will have to continue to cancel.

So I cancelled all my items for sale, to never try that again (and just sell the books when I'm back in the US).

Then, a few days later, I got an email from Amazon saying they were suspending my Seller Account for life, with no opportunity to appeal.

I tried to appeal anyway (a few times), explaining in more and more detail how and why this was a mistake and if they would only escalate to a manager or high enough level where the person could gather the facts, analyze, and see that it indeed was an honest mistake, I discovered it and fixed it myself, I learned my lesson and would never do it again. The refused to escalate and just gave that brick wall response, citing the initial suspension and it's stipulation that it was for life and unappealable.

Thanks for listening and please try to use other merchants besides Amazon if you can. Based on my experience, Amazon doesn't care about you (at least not at the Seller Account Customer Service Representative level). If you make a mistake, this is how they will treat you. It's how they treated me.  Take your business elsewhere to the extent you can.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/27/2013 01:31 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Amazoncom/internet/Amazoncom-Suspended-Seller-Account-for-life-without-opportunity-to-appeal-for-Honest-1070586. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Amazon.com