Complaint Review: AmeriGas

• Updated: Mon, June 02, 2014

• Reported By: keri — Seagoville Texas
AmeriGas
6801 Mithell Pkwy Arlington, Texas USA

AmeriGas AmeriGas Propane Price Gouging and Over Charging by almost $1.00 more a gallon Dallas Arlington Texas

Summary - Amerigas was trying to charge me around $1.00 more a gallon then they had a month ago and also around $1.00 a gallon more than the local competitors.

I called Amerigas to purchase 100 gallons of propane delivered to my residence. They told me it would be $383.12. I told them i had ordered 100 gallons of propane from them on 11\15\2013 and it cost $295.26. I asked her why it was so much more and she told me that the prices had gone up. I told her to go ahead and order it. She called me back to confirm the driver would be there at 4 to deliver the propane. Again I questioned the amount and she said that the price had gone up considerably in the last couple of weeks. I told her that I cannot believe that it has increased a dollar a gallon but told her to go ahead and have the gas delivered. I then did some research online and found that while yes, propane had gone up, it has only gone up a few cents in the last month, not a dollar! I then called two other local companies that deliver propane in my area: Northwest Propane in Forney and Huffhines Propane in Hutchins. They were both around $2.80 a gallon delivered. I then called AmeriGas back and spoke with someone else and asked why they were so high compared to the other companies. She said if I tell her the company name and the price, she will match it. I told her Huffhines at $2.80 a gallon. She matched it and added taxes and fuel recovery fees so it came out to $297.91. I asked her how much a gallon are they charging for the propane and she said $3.00 a gallon. I then asked how that adds up to $383.12 and she could not answer me. She just kept saying that they are going to be a little higher than the other companies because of their emphasis on safety. She said, "as long as she will let me match prices, i will." I said so next time i call I will need to get the price from Huffhines so you can match it and she said again, "as long as she will let me, I will." I paid by credit card over the phone and accepted the delivery of gas.

Buyer beware!! I feel like AmeriGas is taking advantage of its customers. I am sure the majority of their customers are just paying the price they are quoted although it is an obvious deceptive act of practices by AmeriGas and something needs to be done. I know this is only $100 but this is no different to me than price gouging at the gas stations when a catastrophe strikes because AmeriGas knows we need their gas to stay warm in the winter.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/20/2013 09:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AmeriGas/Arlington-Texas-76002/AmeriGas-AmeriGas-Propane-Price-Gouging-and-Over-Charging-by-almost-100-more-a-gallon-Da-1108552. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on AmeriGas