Complaint Review: America Online

• Submitted: Sat, January 24, 2004
  • Updated: Sat, January 24, 2004

• Reported By:Buena Park California
America Online
PO BOX 1559 OGDEN, Utah U.S.A.
  • Phone: 866-265-8550
  • Web:
  • Category: Internet

America Online ripoff OGDEN Utah

Maybe some of you remember, last year, AOL began their infamous DSL program. As a member, I was promised by AOL that they would honor the "do not show pop-ups" scheme. But, what they didn't mention is that they would be bombarding their customers with a "pop-up" of their own for their new DSL program. I did not want it or need it, but each & every time I logged on, they sent me multiple pop-ups. I complained repeatedly, but got no response.

Since I was tired of their onslaught, I decided to go ahead & try their DSL. However, after thinking more about it, I went online & attempted to stop the order within 3 days. Their message said "it will be cancelled," yet I received the equipment within a couple of weeks anyway.

So, I went ahead a attempted to set-up the system, but my Presario needed some more accessories in order to make it function properly. I did not sign up to spend more money.

However, due to previously incorrect billing on another incident, AOL owed me a refund, which is verifiable with documents. So, I held their DSL equipment until I received my credit due.

However, according to a very very lengthy statement on their site, "if the equipment is held for longer than 30 days, the customer will be billed $99," the cost of the equipment. I became extremely irate when I became aware of this.

I have asked repeatedly for my full refund (they only refunded $50 of the $99 so far). This to me is a fraud. Since I have not gotten a response, I have filed complaints with the FTC, as well as, Atty Gen Lockyer (CA), & of course, my favorite website, The Rip-Off Report. COM.

Mr. G
Buena Park, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/24/2004 01:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/America-Online/OGDEN-Utah-84402/America-Online-ripoff-OGDEN-Utah-78006. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on America Online