Complaint Review: America Online

• Reported By:Syracuse New York
America Online
http://www.aol.com Internet U.S.A.

America Online ripoff scam Internet Worldwide

AOL Refuses To Let Me Email Them With My Complaints .....

I've been using AOL since this past fall, and had trouble getting it started, until one day one of their "customer service" reps got me to accept his offer of a free three month trial. The free trial just ended, and I am having numerous problems with their service (or should I say the lack thereof)!

I can't start AOL without receiving pop-up windows asking me to buy stuff. I can't access my email or surf the net until I get rid of these windows, including Instant Messenger's "Buddy List" - something I never asked for anyway.

AOL's browser doesn't work most of the time & I end up using Netscape. AOL's browser is way too slow or it refuses to show a website than I can bring up on Netscape.

Whenever I try to shut down an AOL session, I get pop-up windows saying they are downloading "needed" files for my service. However, they don't specify exactly what those files are for or what they will do. I will NOT download anything I know nothing about! So, whenever I want to close out an AOL session, I end up having to use "ctrl + alt + delete". I shouldn't have to go that far!

And, they're charging me more money than I was led to believe would be the case. So, I decided to try & email them. However, one of their reps claimed they don't have email addys at their corporate headquarters. I find it hard to believe that a company as large as AOL doesn't have email!!! I just don't think they want to give that info out!

I don't know what to do. I want them to know how I feel about what they're doing to me, but no one wants to listen. One of their reps tried to get me to talk to tech support, but I don't want to speak with them. They don't handle complaints!

During my research of AOL today, I found numerous complaints from others who aren't happy with that company. I'm worried that when it comes time to stop their service, they will give me a hard time.

If anyone can give me advice on how to handle this, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Syracuse, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/24/2003 06:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/America-Online/internet/America-Online-ripoff-scam-Internet-Worldwide-46795. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on America Online