Complaint Review: America Online

• Reported By:Savannah Georgia
America Online
www.aol.com Nationwide U.S.A.

America Online cancels your cancelation! Internet

I was a stellar customer for America Online while I needed their services. I had given them access to my account for automatic payments every month, and rarely complained. I began having connection problems and asked to have the online provider end my service.

I was tired of paying $24.95 a month to get booted off line constantly, and I simply couldn't afford it. Teh customer service rep i talked with offered me 3 free months of service to show the importance of my business....give them a chance to straighten out the kinks he said. I agreed, and that would be a major mistake on my part.

When time came around for me to begin paying for my service again, the same connection problems still exhisted. So I wanted to leave america online. I called from my office and tried to cancel my service. They told me I had to call from my home phone number. I called ffrom home they said it wasn't the right number that they had on file, they couldn't cancel the account until I had my phone number changed in the system. Finally I called from the right phone number and cancelled the account.

Telling them that I had been booted too many times, that it was too slow, and that I was upgrading to a cable internet service. I canceld the service! But they apparently canceld my cancelation! Months later, 6 months or so, I recieved a letter saying that I was in collections for back bills. I cancelled in the spring!

Through various conversations with various "customer service" representatives I was basically told my service was never cancelled, and I owed almost $100. I was basiclally called a liar, and spent at least 1/2 an hour on the phone before finally speaking to the manager, who provided the worst "customer service" I have ever experienced. I'm sure the conversation was recorded, I hope it was.....all 3 of the major conversations I had.
Regardless of details, I am being processed by a collection agency for a cancelation that was "lost" and I simply can't afford to pay.

Savannah, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/18/2003 08:17 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/America-Online/nationwide/America-Online-cancels-your-cancelation-Internet-72264. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on America Online