• Report: #19770

• Updated: Sun, June 09, 2002

• Reported By:Augusta GA
America Online
aol.com Nationwide U.S.A.

America Online ripoff tricked and lied to us internet internet

*Consumer Suggestion: Advice from a Tech...

Recently my husband bought, online a cd titled Cache & Cookie Washer for AOL & CompuServe. He thought it would be something that would prove of some use to us. It's function, I am quoting from the cd cover, to quickly clean up your cache, cookies and history. Recover valuable hard drive space. A couple of days ago I was having trouble with something to do with aol. So, I emailed them explaining my problem. They sent me back a 9 page description on possible ways to solve the problem. And one of the ways was to clean up the cache, cookies and history on my internet. Something I just paid $38. and some few cents for.

This is my thought. I feel they miss led my husband and myself by selling us something I could have gotten with their help. I know the saying is buyer beware!, come on when you sign on you are blasted with bargins and this one time we thought it was a good thing. We don't normally buy off the internet, just for reasons like this.

Patti
Augusta, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/29/2002 01:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/America-Online/nationwide/America-Online-ripoff-tricked-and-lied-to-us-internet-internet-19770. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on America Online

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Advice from a Tech...

AUTHOR: K - ()

Patti Augusta, Georgia
This won't make you feel any better about your buying that program. If you use any IE base browser (most ISP software is IE, Internet Explorer, based), most files are stored in the C:\Windows\Temp Internet DIR. for Cache. Cookies are also stored there, and in the C:\Windows\Cookies DIR.

There are 3 ways (built right into Windows) you can use to clean these DIR's out. The best way to delete them is with the IE Browser under "TOOLS" then click "Internet Options". The other two ways are through "Windows Explorer". (Yellow folder with blueish magnifing glass ICON) Or, you can delete them with "Windows Task Scheduler".

Either way, you did not need that program. There are ISP's that change these DIR's, but they are usaly located in the same DIR where you installed your ISP's software. If your ISP's software creates it's own DIR's for your Cache, History, and Cookies, and the browser don't have options to clean them out, Windows Explorer is the best bet to delete them.

If you are online allot, do this once a day. If you are only online a few times a week, clean them at least once a week. Your computer will run better, and save you some hard drive space. This may not be much help to you now, but I'm hoping it may help others as well.

P.S. AOL took me for $175 on a scam also. I would love to see them get whats coming to them! They belong in the same jail cell with ENRON.