Complaint Review: American Agencies

• Submitted: Wed, June 15, 2005
  • Updated: Wed, June 15, 2005

• Reported By:Palo Alto California
American Agencies
2158 West 190th Street Torrance, California U.S.A.

American Agencies Constant harrassing calls, SBC bill created months AFTER I moved Torrance California

About a month ago, I received a call from "American Agencies." They said that I had a bill I'd never paid from SBC. When I asked for the date and address, it turned out that I'd moved out of the apartment about TWO YEARS before the bill's date, and moreover it had my old (non-married) name on it. I asked to report a fraud; they told me to contact SBC.

SBC said they had no record of the bill, so there was nothing to file. They said I had to file through American Agencies again when they called again.

I've now received 3 more calls from American Agencies in a row this week. The first person hung up on me when I asked for information about how to report fraud. The second person supposedly took information to send me a fraud package, so I could provide documentation that I hadn't incurred the bill. I asked at that time that they not call me again until I'd gotten the paperwork in.

This morning, I get yet another call from the same company. I asked them again to please not call but I doubt they're going to pay any attention. I've not received any written information about this bill or about filing a fraud claim.

I'm glad this isn't just happening to me - I'll also send a report to the FTC - California.

Palo Alto, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/15/2005 11:54 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Agencies/Torrance-California-90504/American-Agencies-Constant-harrassing-calls-SBC-bill-created-months-AFTER-I-moved-Torranc-146293. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Agencies

#1 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Sherri - (U.S.A.)

They put multiple entries on my credit report over a Pac Bell bill from 1995..problem was, in 1995, I had GTE as my telephone provider. The credit reporting agencies are no help.

The key is to make them validate the debt..they can't. If they can't, it MUST be removed from your credit report, or you can sue them for damages in Small Claims Court. Send them a letter such as the one below:

Your address

Their address

Re: (Their reference #)

In accordance with Section 809-Validating Debts of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, I respectfully request that you provide to me, in writing, the following:

1. Explain and show me how you calculate what you say I owe.

2. Provide me with copies of any papers that show that I agreed to pay what you say I owe.

I have disputed this debt (the second time I have disputed this with your "agency" with no response for my request for validation) therefore, until validated, you know your information concerning this debt is inaccurate. Thus, if you have already reported this debt to any credit reporting agency, then you must immediately inform them that this debt is in dispute. Reporting information that you know is inaccurate of failing to report as disputed violates the FCRA e1681s-2. If you do not own the rights to this debt, please send a copy of this dispute letter to the original creditor, so that they will have documentation that they will be aware that this remains in dispute. I do NOT deal with collection agencies or debt buyers, so if there is an issue, it will be resolved with the original creditor.

Finally, in accordance with section 805 (c )Ceasing Collections, of the FDCA, please do not contact me regarding this, except by official mail and then only to inform me that your collection efforts are being terminated or that you are taking specific actions allowed by law.

Your cooperation anticipated and appreciated.

Very truly yours,

Fax it to them as well as sending it Certified or Priority Mail with signature confirmation. That way you have back-up with your fax confirmation if they refuse your letter.

Don't be surprised that once you dispute it, you will get a letter stating that they are investigating and may take 3-4 months..you will never hear from them again. You may still have to file in Small Claims to get it removed from the credit report...the day they were served, they finally moved and deleted it from mine.