Complaint Review: American Airlines

• Updated: Thu, June 12, 2014

• Reported By: Flight Issue — Dallas Texas
American Airlines
Dallas, Texas USA

American Airlines AA, US Airways American Airlines changes availability of flights while you are trying to book them to make you pay more! Dallas Texas

This has happened to me several times now, and I have had enough.  I tried booking 2 award seats for a flight at a particular time 6 weeks ahead of time for two family members.  Simultaneously, I bought another seat for the third family member.  I got all the way to the credit card page, put in my credit card, confirmed that I wanted to pay the $10 for the 2 award seats, and then an error page comes up that they are having "system difficulties.  Please try again later or call customer service."

When I called customer service they said that the 2 award seats are no longer available, but if I wanted to use 100,000 miles instead of 50,000 miles they could do it.  Meanwhile, while I am speaking to this person, I went to their site again, and the seats were there plain as day for the lower mile award amount.  When I said this to the customer service rep, they said to refresh my screen.  When I did, the seats were no longer available.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, who basically told me to deal with it, and when I said I was recording the call, he said that I was not allowed to do that.  I told him that is not true, that they clearly state at the beginning of the call that calls are recorded, and not only does that give me the right to do it, but that both I and he are in Texas.

He then hung up on me.

Here is the deal - This has happened several times to me before my very eyes.  American Airlines will have a flight available, but then change it while booking.  First excuse out of AA is this, "Well people are booking all the time and awatrd flights get taken."  My response, I called AA back and asked a lady how many seats were available on the flight...and there were more seats available then what it showed online.  Just not the Award seats.

I am done with American Airlines and will fly pretty much anyone I have to besides them from here on out.  Their customer service flat out sucks (for lack of a more professional term).  I can safely say that in the years I have flown them, I cannot think of a SINGLE positive experience or person with them.  Not one.  Not to mention the old planes or tiny seats.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/01/2014 07:55 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Airlines/Dallas-Texas/American-Airlines-AA-US-Airways-American-Airlines-changes-availability-of-flights-while-1112174. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Airlines