Complaint Review: American Airlines

• Updated: Wed, July 28, 2004

• Reported By:Newtown Pennsylvania
American Airlines
americanairlines.com Internet U.S.A.

American Airlines NO CUSTOMER SERVICE rip-off! They refused a wheelchair! Delayed flight! Chicago, Illinois, Internet

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Why don't travelers take some responsibility for themselves?

We flew American Airlines on a trip to Arizona. Arriving in Arizona was fine. Coming home to Pa. was not. Weather in Chicago was bad so our departure from Arizona was delayed. We were told an hour delay....ooops not right...we will leave on time...ooops not right again..an hour delay.

Finally get onboard only to wait on the runway to another hour. Get to Chicago late for our connecting flight. One bank of departure screens said our flight to Phia. was "on time" next one said "canceled". Not one person to ask. (Even though we were told a AA rep. would be at the gate to help! Nope.

We finally found a person behind a desk and was told there was another flight an hour later. Nope again. That gate was empty and that flight canceled.

I was able to rebook, but our luggage was not to be found. 4 hour wait to get luggage. Finally gave up, got a motel (our expense) and hoped out luggage would be in Phil. One old woman requested a wheelchair on to be told be Flight Attendant, "we changed gates...you have to walk!"

No caring, no customer loyalty, and very ill informed employees.

Judi
Newtown, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/25/2004 12:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Airlines/internet/American-Airlines-NO-CUSTOMER-SERVICE-rip-off-They-refused-a-wheelchair-Delayed-flight-92907. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Airlines

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Why don't travelers take some responsibility for themselves?

AUTHOR: T - (U.S.A.)

I worked on the AAdvantage Desk and in reservations at the LVRO for 4 years until our location was closed (in part) due to 9/11.

If someone needs a wheelchair assist, step up to a white paging phone and request one. That is done by airport personnel. NOT flight attendants -- they conduct their jobs on the aircraft. Also, if that PAX needed a wheelchair assist, one can be requested at the time of booking or when passenger arrives at ATO. Seems to me, that person would have ALREADY been in a wheelchair to get to the gate initially if they really needed one.

As far as weather is concerned, it is an act of God! Airlines have no control over it and DO not schedule weather delays. I live in southern Nevada (LAS) and (I'm sure like AZ), there are few weather delays on our end! Chicago is notorious for weather delays in the winter due to snow and wind and in the summer due to rain. I, personally, avoid connecting through ORD at all costs because of that. If your flight DID take off on time, then you also have the chance of being diverted to another city for landing due to factors in ORD causing you to not be able to land there.

I suggest that one never, never, never arrive at an ATO expecting to get on a flight (at all or ontime), unless they check the weather (where they are and at their FINAL destination) FIRST. Go online to the airport's website to see if there are any delay postings or indications; and/or call the the airline 2 or 3 times (if you are not sure) to see if there are any delays posted due to other factors. Now, keep in mind, a delay could result from weather, mechanical or terrorist threats between that time and the actual flight departure. Just because you are there and need to get home, doesn't mean the flight will take off!

Which leads to my next suggestion: Be flexible and have a back up plan. I would rather be ON the ground than in the air if personnel determine there is possible danger due to weather and/or mechanical! If you are insisting they take off against their better judgment, then I do not want to be on the aircraft with you. I choose to go along with experts' decisions.

Another suggestion: next time you travel, take the bus, train or travel by car.