Complaint Review: American Bankers Insurance, Assurant Specialty Property

• Submitted: Wed, January 02, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, January 10, 2008

• Reported By:Chatsworth Georgia
American Bankers Insurance, Assurant Specialty Property
11222 Quail Roost Drive Miami, Florida U.S.A.

American Bankers Insurance, Assurant Specialty Property Beware of this Insurance Co. Miami Florida

*Consumer Suggestion: 6 Months rent in advance

On 12/17/2007

I had a home fire, and lost everything. On 12/18/2007 I called and reported my claim, nothing was said about my loss if use coverage. At that time I did not think about it, an hour or so I called back and asked about the loss of use. I was told I would have to pay for a place to stay clothing and food out of pocket and submit for a refund. I was totally disgusted its not like I have a few thousand just laying around.

The next day I talked to the field adjuster by phone, so far he has been the only help I have received from this company. He advised me to call back and ask for an advance payment, so I did. After along hold I was able to speak to someone. I was told I would receive an advance payment of $1000.00

I had lost everything I had bought for Christmas, and all of my stuff. I had to pay for a hotel and buy clothing for 2 needless to say the $1000.00 payment did not go far at all. I decided it would be cheaper just to rent a home until all of this was settled, the only place I could find on this short of notice was a small house, due to the fact it was a short term lease I had to pay 6 months in advance. So I borrowed the money thinking the insurance company would take care of it. Need less to say I sent all the receipts for the rental home and furniture. So the next day the local adjuster called and said that was not good enough the lady from the main office called to tell him that, they needed more proof, and they would not reimburse me for the cost I had to pay in advance.

The guy that is local asked me to fax him everything I had sent to Assurant, and he said he would see what he could do.

I just want everyone to beware of this company, or companies I don't know if Assurant and American Bankers are the same or Assurant just handles everything for them.
To me loss of use payments should be sent right out with out question, and all the red tape. In case you are ever in my shoes check to see how your insurance company handles this matter. To me Assurant could care less if we had a place to stay and clothing to where. As of Jan 1st I have been out around $8000.00 due to the fact of having to pay in advance for a place to live and rental furniture , clothing, food, well you can guess I lost everything in the fire. The only person that has been of help any help has been Jeff the field adjuster.

Randall
Chatsworth, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/02/2008 05:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Bankers-Insurance-Assurant-Specialty-Property/Miami-Florida-33157/American-Bankers-Insurance-Assurant-Specialty-Property-Beware-of-this-Insurance-Co-Miami-296450. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Bankers Insurance, Assurant Specialty Property

#1 Consumer Suggestion

6 Months rent in advance

AUTHOR: D - (U.S.A.)

Unless the claim takes 6 months to be settled, you won't receive 6 months of advanced payment rent back from any insurance company.