screen

• Updated: Mon, July 22, 2013

• Reported By: Omar — California
American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida
23852 Network Place Chicago, Illinois USA

American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida AKA Assurant Specialty Property Deceptive Billing Practices Chicago Illinois

*Consumer Comment: I received a similar letter

*Author of original report: Just to be fair

*UPDATE Employee: Contact us

I bought renter's insurance from this company for the duration of my lease (7/15/12 to 7/15/13).  I only wanted renter's insurance for one year because we planned to buy a house before our lease was up.  Imagine my surprise when I got a letter in the mail saying that I had chosen to pay my insurance premiums through automatic bank deduction or by automatic deduction by credit card.

I never gave any true consent to this automatic deduction.  The bill says that I had already been charged on 7/16/13.  I don't even know which bank account or credit card they charged.  Because of this I have to take time and figure out how to cancel this enrolment.  This company has wasted my time.  It has also caused anger and aggravation.  I hope this complaint will somehow make companies deal in a more honest way.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/22/2013 07:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Bankers-Insurance-Company-of-Florida/Chicago-Illinois-60673/American-Bankers-Insurance-Company-of-Florida-AKA-Assurant-Specialty-Property-Deceptive-B-1069236. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida

I received a similar letter

AUTHOR: Jen - ()

I never had insurance through this company.  I received a letter claiming I had authorized an automatic debit from a bank account debit card or credit card.

I tried to call them at 800-370-1990 that was listed in the letter and it is voice mail jail with no opportunity to talk to a live person.  They ask for policy and loan numbers.  I have no policy and no loan, the reference number on the letter is "not valid".

I visited my bank with the letter.  The bank manager said that when there is an automatic debit (ACH) thye have to put the last 4 digits of the account number they are going to bill.  They said either the company is associated with some criminal activity or they are violating banking and insurance laws.  My bank canceled by debit card and switched all of my account numbers as a precaution.

Additionally, I called my credit card company and canceled that card while waiting for a new credit card number.

For two days I have been trying to reach someone to see who tried to take an insurance policy out in my name, no one "live" ever answers the phone.

Runs like one big scam...  I would report to the Department of Insurance for illegal operations because they are a licensed agency.

Just to be fair

AUTHOR: Omar - ()

We were able to cancel the automatic enrolment with little difficulty.  Thank you.

Contact us

AUTHOR: AssurantSP - ()

Omar, I work for Assurant and saw your posting. I'm sorry you had a problem.  If you'll send your contact info to robert.byrd(at)assurant.com, I'll make sure one of our service reps gets in touch.