dressed

• Updated: Tue, February 05, 2013

• Reported By: Sam — okmulgee Oklahoma United States of America
American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida
1122 Quail Roost Drive Miami, Florida United States of America

American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida assurant specialty property insurance refusing to cover things they said they would Miami, Florida

*Author of original report: looks good so far.

*Consumer Comment: they denied my claim as well, please help me fight my case

*Author of original report: Consumer

*Consumer Comment: Start reading.

*Consumer Suggestion: we need to do something...

someone had been trying to get into my garage for a while. i called and had my house put on police watch. called and made sure everything was good with my insurance. i specifically asked the agent on the phone about some car parts i had been working on in my garage. the agent told me that all of my stuff was covered and not to worry about it. if anything happened i would be taken care of. now my insurance company is refusing to pay for some of the items stolen from my garage. They say its because they don't cover automobiles but there was no automobile.

i was building a race engine that would be put in a car later but there is no car for the engine right now it was just an engine stored in the garage and being built as a personal project. the engine had cost more than 15000.00 to build but they are saying they wont cover it. is there anything i can do? out of 33000.00 worth of items stolen they gave me a check for the than 5000.00. I am a college student money is very hard to come by and it seems like they are trying to take advantage of me because i dont have the money to fight them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/05/2013 11:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Bankers-Insurance-Company-of-Florida/Miami-Florida-33157/American-Bankers-Insurance-Company-of-Florida-assurant-specialty-property-insurance-refusi-1009198. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida

looks good so far.

AUTHOR: SamFulton - ()

well after a lot of arguing and fighting they say they are going to cover my stuff. it took longer than i wanted but i hope it all works out ok but we will see.

they denied my claim as well, please help me fight my case

AUTHOR: nichole - ()

the denied my claim as well please help me with case

Consumer

AUTHOR: SamFulton - (United States of America)

i wasnt storing an entire car. just an engine that i was using for school. yes i think it should be covered. and yes if the agent tells me it is cover and they never sent me a contract i would assume that a space ship would be covered. i have the check but havent signed a release. i never even got a copy of the contract. they said that it was mailed to me but i didnt get it and i wasnt told at the time that i would be getting one in the mail so i was just going off the website which doesnt list any exclusions. the policy was purposely misrepresented and then no one ever told me it was a lie until i needed the insurance. if they had of told me up front that hardly any of my stuff was covered i wouldnt have gotten such a large policy. i think it is wrong that i was lied to from the beginning just to get ripped off and find out the truth when its already to late. and before the car subject comes up again. there is no car. just an engine and some parts. i dont have a car for them yet. i was using the engine to learn from and then when i was done with it i was going to put it in a car.

Start reading.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

"  the agent told me that all of my stuff was covered and not to worry about it.  "

Does that sound reasonable to you?  Do you suppose if you were keeping a $2 Million dollar jet airplane in your garage that it would be covered?    How about a $50 million dollar spacecraft?

What an agent tells you is not a policy.   The multiple sheets of paper that the company sent you is a policy.   It explains what is covered and what is not covered.   That is the only concrete source of information regarding coverage.

"  is there anything i can do? "

You can read the policy and find out if items like stolen racing engines are covered.  If it's not, and the difference between what they paid and what they owed was really around $28K, it should be easy to find a lawyer who'll take that slam dunk.   Otherwise, your only recourse is to contact your state's department of insurance.   Some are very aggressive, while others are a waste of time.

" they gave me a check for the than 5000.00. "

Uh oh.   Did that check come with a release that you signed?  Did you cash/deposit the check?   If so, then you're probably out of luck.   If you settled for $5K by taking the money, you can't go back after the fact and claim it wasn't enough.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

we need to do something...

AUTHOR: TheMan - (United States of America)

All that have been wronged by Assurant, need to get together and file a class action. So, we can stop this ........Shayphane