Complaint Review: American Car Center

• Updated: Thu, May 22, 2014

• Reported By: SheliaA — Covington Tennessee United States of America
American Car Center
6400 Winchester Road Memphis, Tennessee United States of America

American Car Center King of Credit Where you job is credit! More like.....Where they make it their job to screw you! Memphis, Tennessee

*UPDATE Employee: Management Response

*Consumer Comment: Why?

Their commercial says American Car Center King of Credit...Where your job is your credit. Hey i need a car and I had the job. So this is how my nightmare begins.

My husband  went to the dealership and picked out a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer. At first they said 1200 down will put you in this car. Now we have had previous credit problems and our credit is not he best (or I wouldn't have been at this kids place anyway right) We were excited. After waiting for what seemed like ages they come back with 1700 is our bottom dollar. We took it. We sat down with finance and started signing paper work. With each turn of the page the dream started looking a little cloudy. What we thought was going to be a car loan was really a car lease. With a 2,900 balloon payment at the end of a 3 year contract. We did it anyway...i know I know stupid. Well the check engine light was on but no worries he says we will fix it. We brought it back a week later they kept it all day said it was fixed we picked it up and the light came back on the way home. Well we just decided to deal with as long as it ran ok. Well all was well for about 8 months because we paid on time. Until...............the dream turned to a NIGHMARE

My husband was injured. We paid our payments every 2 weeks and got behind 2 payments. We owed them a little under 500.00 and were 1 month passed due when they came and got it. We then had to pay a 300 repo fee pus 3 payments and other fees to get it back(1,200).

We continued payments and were fine until my husband's workman's comp stopped unexpectedly. We again got behind 2 payments and they asked us to prove that his payments stopped and they would put the payment to the end which we did . They weren't happy with either of the 2 documents we provided(1 for workman's comp and the other form the DR) and demanded payment. The same weekend all these discussions went on a guy showed up in our yard while only my kids where at home. The idiot drives his car into my wet yard and right up to my front steps. My son opened the door and said dude why did you drive through our yard. He stated he couldnt tell where the drive way ended. My Son said clearly where the gravel ends and the grass begins. he had a paper for us stating they had repeatedly tried to contact us unsuccessfully and that we needed to contact them to make arrangements on our bad debt. We had been in constant contact with them. And they were waiting on the documents we were getting for them.

On Saturday they called and asked us to turn the car in and avoid repo fees that we could pick it up when i got paid on Friday. We agreed and said we will talk to you Monday. Monday moring I came out to go to work...EMPTY driveway! The  a**holes came and got it anyway. When we called them on the agreement we made they claimed they couldn't stop the repo process. We then told them were they could stick our agreement and their car. Needless to say they offered to let us pick the car up if we made the payments we were behind on plus 1 more and they would drop the repo
 fee but it had to be that day. We wouldnt have it till Friday. They knew that.

Yesterday I received a letter dated the 17th of January giving us 10 days to pick up our property and if we wished to reclaim our car we would have to pay not  the payments we were behind on but the remainder of our 8000 dollar lease or it would be sold at a private sale. People listen to me they are CROOKS! They lease these cars and hope you get behind. They want to come get it make it impossible for you to get it back. So then you loose what you paid and they resell it for even more profit! They need to be shut down.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/20/2012 05:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Car-Center/-Memphis-Tennessee-38115/American-Car-Center-King-of-Credit-Where-you-job-is-credit-More-likeWhere-they-make-825980. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Car Center

Management Response

AUTHOR: American Car Center Management - ()

The management of American Car Center respectfully disagrees with this post. While anonymous posts on the internet are difficult to respond to appropriately because we have no way of knowing the actual source, we want all our customers and potential customers to know that our very popular leasing program is fully disclosed on the front end of all transactions. Our leasing program is a win-win for all involved and allows us to offer the lowest mileage, most recent model vehicles that customers want. Also, importantly, all of our customers have the option of owning the vehicle after the lease term; we believe that we get our customers to ownership status for less money and more car than any other traditional buy-here-pay-here dealerships in our markets.

More importantly, we fully encourage all our customers to come and talk to us about any complaints or problems they may have. We have an awesome complaint resolution process and strive to improve it every day. American Car Center cares about our customers' experience!

Why?

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

Why did the Workers' Compensation stop unexpectedly?