Complaint Review: American Education Services

• Submitted: Tue, August 21, 2012
  • Updated: Thu, August 23, 2012

• Reported By: Michael — murrieta California U.S.A.
American Education Services
Harrisburg Pennsylvania, 17130-0001 Internet United States of America

American Education Services Signed my name as cosignor for a student loan Internet

*Consumer Suggestion: next steps

In 2009 my son obtained a student loan through the Art Institute in San Bernardino Ca. He went for about 4 semesters and eventually dropped out. Somehow my name was used as a closing or to this loan and my son swears he did not sign my name. In 2010 I got a letter from AES stating that I was delinquent on a loan which I had no idea about. They told me I had to pay for the loan in full for $24,000. Dollars. I explained to them that I did not have a loan through them and I never signed anything. They told me the only way to get out of this loan was to file a police report. I did not want to take a chance on them charging my son with fraud, so I urged m son to get a deferral or forbearance which he did because he was still in school and was unemployed. My son is no longer in school but he is still unemployed and cannot afford the monthly payments, so now they are gong after me again. I am tempted to file a police report just to get this out of my name and it has been three years and the statute of limitation is up. They have already ruined my credit because they sent this info to my credit bureau for my late payments which I originally knew nothing about.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/21/2012 10:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Education-Services/internet/American-Education-Services-Signed-my-name-as-cosignor-for-a-student-loan-Internet-930682. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Education Services

#1 Consumer Suggestion

next steps

AUTHOR: Cicily - (United States of America)

You don't mention if this is a federal or private loan but either way, the statute of limitation rules are very different for educational loans than they are for other consumer loans.  In fact, if this is a federal loan there is no statute of limitations.

The bottom line is that the burden of proof is on you in cases like this.  AES, or any other company for that matter, is not just going to take your word for it that the signature is not yours.  I would file that police report  - it will show the seriousness of your complaint.  If your son didn't sign your name you shouldn't have anything to worry about on that end.  Another good way to prove your case is to send AES a few copies of your signature so they can compare - try to send at least one from the timeframe of the promissory note signature in your batch.  Old copies of checks, drivers licenses etc are good places to find older copies of your signature to send.  AES also probably has some sort of ID theft form they will want you to certify to officially file a complaint.

If you are still not satisfied after you follow these steps, you could also ask for assistance from your local attorney general's office.  Just my two cents.