Complaint Review: American Express Blue Bird

• Submitted: Sat, January 12, 2013
  • Updated: Fri, April 11, 2014

• Reported By: Mr Man — charlotte North Carolina United States of America
American Express Blue Bird

American Express Blue Bird Bluebird Card False Advertising Rip-off ,bluebird.com, Internet

*Consumer Suggestion: Patience Is Key When dealing with outsourced customer service

***ALL CONSUMERS***** This card is a pain in the a**...don't purchase it. I purchased a Bluebird card for my husband at Christmas. I put $70 on it and paid the $5 setup fee. ( I should have just bought a regular gift card..this is not a gift card as it claims). He loves to rent Redbox movies so I figured what a great way to let him rent at his leisure. When he went to use the card to rent his redbox movies the card was denied. He tried twice. Then, he went to a teller at walmart and informed them of this and tried to purchase some gum as a test, again the card was rejected. They said you have to register the card on-line, which I did but that too was rejected:

Thank you for signing up for Bluebird! Sorry but upon further review of your request, we are unable to verify your information.If you feel that this was caused in error, please contact us by calling Customer Service at 1-877-486-5990.Thanks,Bluebird

Ok. So I call the number and they try to convince me that the teller pushed the wrong button at the store...Walmart. Then they try to tell me that the store doesn't accept AMEX. I said...it's Walmart! they sell your cards so im sure they accept them. They then said well your email address and the soc sec card probably dont match so you need to set up an email account with the same name as the soc sec card. Ok...I check...they match...now what? "Why is it so important to have the soc sec number...if you are not going to do a credit check?" as it states on their packaging (LIARS).  "No Credit Inquiry". So I ask for my money back, they place me on hold for 1 hour!!!!  I call back and ask for a manager, on hold again for 30 min. i hung up becuz im tired of their crap. AMEX is ripping off people who already are struggling financially. Wow what a lack of business ethics. Definitely less then integral. I never applied for an AMEX card because of horror stories I heard from friends...now I definitely won't ever. They set this card up to rip off desperate people. They claim it has no hidden fees, but as i read the small print...'locked' inside their little case...there are 'ton's' of fees. You don't find this out until AFTER you have purchased the card...what a trap....I WANT MY $75 bucks BACK! if someone is filing a civil suit against these money junkies I will be glad to sign on. I will keep trying but of course walmart wont give me a refund because I opened the box...this card is a financial trap! DON'T DO IT...and you cant use it as a GIFT card!!! LIARS!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/12/2013 02:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Express-Blue-Bird/internet/American-Express-Blue-Bird-Bluebird-Card-False-Advertising-Rip-off-bluebirdcom-Internet-995768. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Express Blue Bird

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Patience Is Key When dealing with outsourced customer service

AUTHOR: ThinkB4 - ()

I just recently purchased Bluebird American Express.

So far it is a great solution.

I can deposit personal check onto my account via my smartphone with the bluebird app

But unfortunantely I had a run in with the pay bill system.

I wanted to directly pay a bill but through a personal account (My mother)

So I thought the transfer went through but was never received, so of course I called and had to be placed on hold several time (adding up to about 30 minutes), her accent was very hard to understand, but I dealt with it.

Yes, my patience was running thin, but if you hang up and fail to resolve the problem then it's your fault, NOT the companies!

It is an alternative to banking, to expect a bank and it's customer service you are being dillusional.

To call it a RIP-OFF implies they STEAL your money.

My issue was resolved.........

If you don't know how to have a conversation or try to be understanding to the people who are trying to help you who have another accent....then maybe you should get your credit situation together and get a real bank.

Learn to be patient like i did!