Complaint Review: American Express Travel

• Reported By:Tempe Arizona
American Express Travel
Nationwide U.S.A.

American Express Travel mistakes and screw ups inexcusable

I recently booked and went on a Honeymoon to Bali, Indonesia, which I booked through American Express Travel. The litany of mistakes and screw ups is inexcusable.

1) The travel agent booked the international portion of the trip, but did not book the domestic portion (in spite of my request). Subsequently, the fair increased costing me well over $200.

2) When the domestic portion was booked, it was booked returning to the wrong city -- LA, while our international flight departed from SF. The travel agent offered to buy us an addition leg on a discount airline. I had to call United and beg to get the ticket resolved myself.

3) I converted money ahead of time at AMEX. Imagine my surprise when I tried to spend the money in Indonesia, and they told me the money I had was Thai. When I returned, and took the money back to AMEX, they converted it for me at then prevailing rates, plus a fee -- a loss of $50. The refund was supposed to come, but never did.

4) When we arrived in Bali, the tour guide was nowhere to be found. I called the number given, and they had not heard of reservation. After two hours, I convinced them to pick us up and take us to our hotel. It took 24 hrs to get this resolved.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/28/2000 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Express-Travel/nationwide/American-Express-Travel-mistakes-and-screw-ups-inexcusable-3447. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Express Travel