Complaint Review: American Express

• Updated: Mon, June 16, 2014

• Reported By: bkyle1991 — pacific grove California
American Express
New York, New York USA

American Express Amex Amex uses deceptive language to scam you out of money with their fees new york New York

I had been a happy Amex customer for some time. I knew that they have annual fees on most accounts there. I signed up to try them out, I used the card for thousands in purchases and always paid on time. I knew that 1 year of service with them was coming near. I didnt want to pay a $125 annual fee so I contact them through the toll free number on the back of their card. I got a operator there with a accent. I asked specifically if I would be charged a annual fee soon, this year or at all. The operator spoke with authority and told me "Sir you have no annual fees for this year, they have been waived". I knew my year free was coming to a end soon, so either he meant the time I already had along with the following month would count for the first year or that I dont have to worry about it for the year of 2013. So I asked them again if I would be charged the annual fee in any way, I said I remembered there being a fee attatched to the card. The operator again just said "You have no fees for this year sir". The operator was deceptive in their language for making it seem as if the year of 2013 would not bring a charge and also for not telling me I had a fee coming a month from then when they KNEW I was calling to see that. They just spoke circles around my question with deception, these crooks should be shutdown. They reel you in with the first year waived and when you are ready to cancel before the fee kicks in they try to word it like you dont have a fee coming.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/26/2013 06:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Express/New-York-New-York/American-Express-Amex-Amex-uses-deceptive-language-to-scam-you-out-of-money-with-their-fee-1087646. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Express