Complaint Review: American General Life Insurance

• Updated: Tue, February 14, 2012

• Reported By: kismet — Harvest Alabama United States of America
American General Life Insurance
200 Liberty Street New York, New York United States of America

American General Life Insurance We changed our policy address thru the American General e-service, only to receive a letter in the mail, stating that another individual is now the owner of our policy! New York, New York

My husband and I have several Old Line Life Insurance Policies that were bought out by American General Life Insurance, back in 2003.  I had made several phone calls to American General Life to find out what the status of these polices were, since it was now 2012, and we had not heard from the company since 2003.  We had made several attempts to gain access through their e-service, to no avail.  We are convinced, that either everyone in NY is from a foreign country, or the calls seem to be farmed out, as they did not seem to understand what we wanted after two calls.

We finally figured out the drill on our own, for gaining access online to our insurance policies, and then proceeded to change our mailing address.  What we received later on my husband's whole life policy, further fueled the fire.  All address changes came through just fine, except for this policy.  It came with someone elses name, using our address!!!  When I called the company again (call #3), this person kept calling me by the name of the person on this letter, whom I do not know.  After my frustration level was up to a 10, she then tells me that, oh, she has the same policy number, and they need a three digit number off of the envelope to track the letter that was sent in error.

We went round and round about this envelope.  I kept telling her that I did not have the envelope, only the letter!    I feel like I was talking to the wind with these people.  With all three conversations, they wanted to change our address.  Apparently, there is no communication between the e-services and whatever the customer service reps are looking at.  I still don't believe this has been resolved, and at this point, about all we can do is wait, and think about cashing in all of these policies, so that we will never have to deal with them again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/14/2012 09:20 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-General-Life-Insurance/New-York-New-York-10281/American-General-Life-Insurance-We-changed-our-policy-address-thru-the-American-General-e-838887. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American General Life Insurance