Complaint Review: American Grantwriter's Association

• Updated: Fri, March 15, 2013

• Reported By: Katie — Emeryville California
American Grantwriter's Association
12551 Indian Rocks Rd, Suite 12 Largo, Florida United States of America

American Grantwriter's Association National Business Developers Cannot deliver products as advertised, business plans or grants, - might be an outright scam or partial scam Largo, Florida

I found American Grantwriters online because I needed a grant written.  They looked very legitimate, and even had pictures of people who take classes from "this company."  I wrote and asked a question and a man calling himself a PhD, Dr. John Porter, responded.  I paid $500 down at that point and was trying to secure a property on which he could write the grant.  I could not secure the property in time, so together we decided to have him, Dr. John Porter, write a business plan instead and we would look for investors.  The price was 2,000.  When the contract came to write the business plan, it asked for the remainder of the 2,000 to be sent BEFORE any work was done.  I objected and said I would only pay half down and wanted to see some work.  He agreed and I sent another $500 to the Florida address.  While he was waiting for my check to arrive he at least pretended that he was gearing up to work and I received "cookie cutter" emails asking questions.  It did appear that at least one of the emails he in fact was not reading my responses.

I sent quite a bit of material that was fairly well written and thought out, and encapsulated my business plan.  He got appeared to be confused  and sent cookie cutter emails like "i'll need you to send those budget numbers I asked for before I can start" - and had not asked for them.  Etc.  He didn't ask for specific things that I really thought he would need, but the contract said he would ask.  I just started sending him facts and figures and more material and he played along, streching the "10 to 14 days" out as long as he could.  He sent me emails like "I see that you've spelled your name two different ways" etc and of course I never did.

When I finally got the rough draft, I realized that an english as a second language person had written it and then perhaps John Porter (if that is his real name) tried to fix it up a little.  It had completely misspelled words, syntax errors, numbers written with missing zero's.  But the WORST part is that they took someone else's business plan from Wyoming and just pasted my own written material into sections with their work and it was completely convoluted, made no sense, and written incorrectly.  When he first sent it to me he apologized ahead of time for the misspelled words, as if he had received it that way and had not had time to make all the corrections he wanted to. I had no idea he was not doing the work.,

When i wrote him back and told him how poor it was he immediatley cancelled the contract by email and said that he had spent $1,000 worth of time on this HORRIBLE document and reading my emails and etc.  What was really bad was that he said that if I had just agreed to pay the full amount, and not talked him down $500, he could have done his work.  I reminded him that I HAD agreed to the full amount but had paid half down with his permission.  He didn't even know what our agreement was.  He was obviously a frontrunner for some really bad writers and it is TERRIBLE work.  I can't use any of it because it was probably plagerized and I also don't know if it is even in the format that investors want, etc, since it became clear that it was most likely a scam business.  It was the most horrible looking "professional" document I have ever seen.  I ran a transcription service with several people and I have never had a professional in their field turn in something so badly done.  I want my money back.  Don't use them, especially since they obviously up front are tricking people into thinking they are with the national professional association of grant writers and they are not.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/15/2013 04:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Grantwriters-Association/Largo-Florida-33774/American-Grantwriters-Association-National-Business-Developers-Cannot-deliver-products-as-1035113. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Grantwriter's Association