Complaint Review: American Home Shield

• Updated: Wed, July 10, 2013

• Reported By: Mombee12 — Maryland
American Home Shield
860 Ridge Lake Blvd. Memphis, Tennessee USA

American Home Shield AHS AHS Dumped 16 yr Loyal Customer for "too many claims", average? 1X per year! Memphis Tennessee

We've had the same AHS contract since we bought our house 16 years ago, they auto debited my CC, so never a late payment. At first they were good, but the last 2 years have been strange. Last year I called and they denied the claim and I fought it and they eventually paid. That was with the Heat/Air Conditioning Pump.

They claimed I didn't maintain it and said I was bound by their contract to have the coils cleaned annually, something I'd never heard before. [continued below]....
..... Then AHS tried to upsell me a Heat Pump Maintenance contract for $250.00. I refused and found another company to 'clean my dirty coils' only to find out the coils were FINE, not dirty and not the cause of the breakdown. I fought AHS and they repaired it. Too many back n' forths = waste of my valuable time. That was the only call for 2012.

Fast forward to last month, May 2013. I called AHS for my high efficiency washer, the pump motor broke. They jerked me around and denied the claim and said it wasn't 'normal wear and tear'. The washer was only 1 year old. So I ended up paying the company that they'd sent out to fix it on my own and it cost me $485 to fix.

There was a 2 week gap in between the diagnosis and then being jerked around by AHS to it being fixed. I gave a credit card to the appliance co. to order the new pump motor myself. By the time the tech showed up... I had just received a letter the day before... from AHS -- DUMPING me as a customer. I called for an explanation and was told "You were dumped because you make too many claims!"  Are you kidding me?  One claim a year is too much for AHS? (I pay $643.00 per year for my contract.)

When the repairman came and installed the new motor, he told me that AHS should NOT have denied my claim. He said AHS pays for like claims like mine all day long. I said, 'I should take them to small claims court' and the tech offered to go testify for me. He thought it was wrong.

As a 16 year customer... here's the deal, they fight like crazy to deny claims, and then when they do pay they try to cut corners and do the cheapest thing possible.

This company needs a thorough investigation into bad practices, they're crooks!  They want your contract $$$ -- but refuse to give the service YOU PAY FOR!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/10/2013 12:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Home-Shield/Memphis-Tennessee-38135/American-Home-Shield-AHS-AHS-Dumped-16-yr-Loyal-Customer-for-too-many-claims-average-1065922. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Home Shield