Complaint Review: American Home Shield

• Reported By: Steve — Hutto Texas United States of America
American Home Shield
860 Ridge Lake Blvd. Memphis, Tennessee United States of America

American Home Shield Unethical business practices Memphis, Tennessee

On May 6, 2012, my AC quit working, so I contacted AHS. A service technician was contacted and showed up on May 8 to diagnose/repair the system. The technician diagnosed a leak in the system and completed the repairs by recharging the system and adding a stop-leak compound to the refrigerant.

On June 26, my AC again quit working, so I contacted AHS again. I reminded them of the May 8 attempted repairs and inquired about the return visit policy. AHS said the refrigerant and stop leak are considered parts; therefore, if the system was diagnosed with a leak again, the 90-day return visit policy (no additional service fee) would apply.

The call was dispatched to the same service company that completed the original attempt at a repair. The technician did diagnose the system as having a leak, and I informed him that one of his co-workers had been out recently and what that technician had done. The technician goes out to his truck (I assume to contact AHS) and comes back in requesting a service fee to complete the repairs.

On July 2, I contacted AHS inquiring as to why I was billed a service fee for a return visit. The first-level CSR stated that a mistake had been made and that I should not have been billed the service fee. I was then connected to a supervisor who also confirmed that the service fee should not have been charged. The supervisor stated that she would be entering an expedited (due to the mistake on AHSs part) request for a refund and that I should have a check in 2-3 weeks.

On Friday, August 3 (a month later), I had not yet received the refund, so I contacted AHS yet again. At this time, I was told my refund request had been put on hold with no expected completion date. When I inquired as to the reason, I was told the vendor had not submitted their invoice yet. When asked, AHS responded they do not contact vendors requesting invoices even if a customer is awaiting a refund. I was also told by the supervisor that they would look into it further and would give me a call on the following Monday.

On Tuesday, August 7, after not hearing back from AHS I called yet again and spoke with another supervisor who agreed that an unreasonable amount of time had passed and stated that she would again request an expedited refund and that I should have my refund check within 2-3 weeks.

On August 22, after not receiving a check, I contacted AHS again inquiring about my refund. At this time, I was told it would be another 2-3 weeks (week of September 3). I was also informed at this time that my request had never been expedited and that 2 months was the standard refund timeframe even if resulting from fees billed in violation of the terms of the contract.

So, basically, AHSs practice is to violate the terms of the contract, lie to the customers, and drag out refunding fees inappropriately charged for an excessive amount of time.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/22/2012 08:03 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Home-Shield/Memphis-Tennessee-38135/American-Home-Shield-Unethical-business-practices-Memphis-Tennessee-930810. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Home Shield