Complaint Review: American Home Shield

• Submitted: Tue, July 29, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, November 13, 2008

• Reported By:PAsadena, California
American Home Shield
P.O. Box 849, Carroll, IA 51401 Pasadena, California U.S.A.
  • Phone: 888-2754965
  • Web:
  • Category: Plumbing

American Home Shield Repalcement of Water Heater Pasadena California

*Consumer Comment: License required

I called to replace my water heater and the contractor sent by AHS said that I have to pay $405.00 plus the $55.00 deductible. They said that they don't cover all of the replacements to change a water heater. When the contractor called AHS, the employee suggested that it would be better for me to cash out and get someone else do the work for me.

I was transferred to AHS Option and was informed that it will take 3 days before someone can get me the final amount of the cashout. I have been without hot water for 3 days already and cannot wait more so I went ahead and bought a water heater from Home Depot (same 50 gallon) and parts for $691.00 and the handyman to do the job cost me $170.00. Plus, I have to buy the water heater and I also need to dispose of it.

After I did the work, AHS only offered me to pay for the water heater for only $300.00 which they say is their actual cost to buy the water heater and no payment for the labor.

I should have gone with the contractor and pay only $460.00 and no hassle of findng someone to do it for me and disposing the old water heater.

Will be loking for another home insurance when th coverage from AHS expires.

Rey
PAsadena,, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/29/2008 04:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Home-Shield/Pasadena-California/American-Home-Shield-Repalcement-of-Water-Heater-Pasadena-California-357122. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Home Shield

License required

AUTHOR: Informer - (U.S.A.)

The state of California requires a permit to be obtained by the contractor installing the water heater. This is illegal for a "handyman" to do as the job cost is in excess to limitations set by law. It is a good idea that if someone feels "ripped off" by a warranty company that they read the literature and contract prior to purchasing or canceling a policy. In most cases it is simply lack of communication from the field technician or lack of understanding by the homeowner, both of which can be avoided.