Complaint Review: American Home Shield

• Submitted: Mon, September 03, 2012
  • Updated: Mon, September 03, 2012

• Reported By: jeff — encino California United States of America
American Home Shield
PO Box 849, Carroll, Iowa 51401 los angeles, California United States of America

American Home Shield took money for a prepaid home warranty policy and then has refused to honor the policy los angeles, California

*Consumer Suggestion: Look At Their Owner

American Home Shield does everything in its power to avoid paying claims.  It has a company policy of never answering any call for service in less than 20 minutes in the hope you will give up.  I made multiple calls in this one incident and they never answered in less than 20 minutes.  In my case it sent an incompetent company that refused to repair an airconditioner during a 100+ heatwave.  AHS's contractor said it might be the circuit breaker on the house, which I had already had checked and we knew it was not the circuit breaker.  because this was going no where I replaced the circuit breaker at my own expense (AHS's obvious goal), even though the electrician said it was fine.  This di dnot fix the problem.

The airconditioner repair person they had sent admitted to me he did not know if that would fix the problem but he figured why not give it a try instead of doing his job.  When we told AHS the replacement of the circuit breaker had not fixed the problem its airconditioner repair guys refused to return over the weekend.  AHS told me it would find another person and call me back.  No call back.  When I called again they had no record of ever having promised anything.

On my third call (each requiring a wait time of at least 25 minutes) I pointed out someone could be injured by their delays, AHS finally admitted I could arrange to have the work done myself and submit the bill.  AHS gave me an authorization number.  I arranged my own contractor and when he called their 800 number with my authorization number they first said they had no record of ever authorizing the work.  He called again and they said they had the number but they refused to authorize the work and they would send out their own person in a few days.  If it required a new condenser, as he had said, they would have to order that condenser from an authorized AHS supplier across the country and wait at least 5 business days.  And it was over 100 every day.

In total my I spent 5 or 6 hours getting a job completed that should have taken no more than 30 minutes.  It was completed only because I had my repair person perform the work with no assurance that AHS would pay for it since they changed the rules re the pre-authorization after he bought the condenser and dropped everything to complete the repair.  AHS wanted to send a third contractor and, if he confirmed the diagnosis, order a part and wait more than a week to complete to repair.

I am convinced that the actions of AHS (extremely long wait times on every call, multi-day delays in arranging visits, lies on the phone about what has been done and when things will be done, taking a week to order normal parts that are available the same day here in LA) are not just incompetence.  They are a pattern of conduct designed to avoid honoring the home warranty by making it as expensive, time-consuming and painful as possible to get them to pay for the repairs for which they have been paid in advance.  It is a pattern of conduct that I believe rises to the level of actual fraud: they sell the warranty with no intent to honor it and with the actual intent to prevent people form making legitimate claims.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/03/2012 09:45 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Home-Shield/los-angeles-California-/American-Home-Shield-took-money-for-a-prepaid-home-warranty-policy-and-then-has-refused-t-936289. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Home Shield

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Look At Their Owner

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

AHS is a subsidiary of the infamous Servicemaster Corporation. Do some web searches on that name and discover what they really stand for. You'll recognize their other subsidiaries rather easily.

One big caveat with AHS.

Make CERTAIN that the technician thay send is REGISTERED and INSURED. There's too many stories of mysterious, unmarked vans showing up for these 'repair' calls. Remember, they'll send the cheapest ones they can find.