Complaint Review: American Home Shield

• Submitted: Fri, June 25, 2004
  • Updated: Fri, June 25, 2004

• Reported By:Mesquite Texas
American Home Shield
www.American Home Shield Nationwide U.S.A.

American Home Shield ripoff Mesquite TX

I got American Home Shield insurance thinking this is great to have repairs needed to my home appliance for little money. Well, apparently they will not cover much if anything when you call for repairs.

I called because my air conditioner was not cooling the house. The air conditioner was set on 50 but it was still 85 in our house. The repairman they sent out said that it was manitenance on our side that we did not have the unit cleaned and that he could do it for $85 or we could do it ourselves. Well, that would have been a total of $130, $45 for serivce call and $85 for him to clean our unit which he tells my husband he can do himself. So, we opt to to this ourselves and still the house does not cool. I call back telling customer service that what he told us to do did not work. They tell us we need to have a liscence repairman do this then they will send the same repair man back to our house if cleaning it doesn't work.

I canceled my insurance with them and called a "real" air conditioner repairman to my home. Turns out that the unit did not need cleaning the hose which the freeone goes thru is clog/needs replacing and to the tune of $400. I called American Home Shield back and they still insist that we should have it cleaned first by a liscene repairman then they would send the same guy out to check it again.

This has been going on for two weeks. If you purchase insurance to have repairs why do we need to follow these stupid guidelines that they do not tell you in order to get work done. I would not suggest this type of insurance to anyone. It may cost you more to have the repair done yourself but it's worth it as you don't have to contend with the rude customer service people who are not going to do anything for you other than take your monthly payments and make you very upset.

Mesquite, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/25/2004 09:55 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Home-Shield/nationwide/American-Home-Shield-ripoff-Mesquite-TX-96399. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Home Shield