Complaint Review: American Intercontinental University

• Submitted: Tue, April 11, 2006
  • Updated: Thu, April 20, 2006

• Reported By:Matamoras Pennsylvania
American Intercontinental University
5550 Prairie Stone Parkway Suite 400 Hoffman Estates,, Illinois U.S.A.

American Intercontinental University ripoff for potential students Hoffman Estates, Illinois

*Author of original report: more of an update...

*Author of original report: further follow up

After enrolling at AIUonline and signing the agreement, my financial counselor worked with me to prepare my financial aid.

Out of the blue, my financial aid package was completed and on it stated that I had been given an AIU private loan in the amount of $6000.00 I know I had applied for this loan at the same time I applied for the Wachovia Educational Loan. But, what I didn't know was that I wasn't given nor would ever be given any disbursment papers of this loan.

I had no knowledge of the repayment schedule or interest rate addressed to that loan. I have contacted the company how it is mentioned in the agreement terms to cancel my agreement. I have not even taken any courses yet. But, I can't get any representative of AIU online to give to me a receipt of the acknowledgement of my request to cancel my agreement.

I have filed a complaint as well with the Better Business Bureau of this ordeal. I do not know if my cancellation has been accepted or if I'm going to incur any further charges. I am highly interested in starting a class action suit against AIUonline for their deceptive practices. Anyone with knowledge of a suit, please contact me.

Beth
Matamoras, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/11/2006 06:09 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Intercontinental-University/Hoffman-Estates-Illinois-60192/American-Intercontinental-University-ripoff-for-potential-students-Hoffman-Estates-Illino-185999. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Intercontinental University

more of an update...

AUTHOR: Beth - (U.S.A.)

I received confirmation today that my $50 application fee was returned to my credit card. With checking with the credit card company this was verified. I do believe that I have gotten this far in it all working out in my favor by being brazen enough to forward a copy of my BBB complaint to AIU's compliancy officer. Please do not hesitate to follow in my steps. Let AIU know that you will go to the farthest length to solve the problems.

further follow up

AUTHOR: Beth - (U.S.A.)

after much debate with a friend who is going thru the exact same problems with AIU online... we both went to the BBB and filed a complaint against AIU. In an email I forwarded a copy of my BBB complaint.. and to my surprise... AIU started coming around and decided to cooperate with my request to cancel my agreement with them. I have finally received written acknowledgement from them, with a guarantee written in that I would not receive any further billing. ( I demanded that that be added into my cancellation agreement. )

I am still waiting for the reimbursement of my $50 application fee. So, until receiving that, and at least a 6 month span of no further billing from them, I will not close out my BBB complaint. I suggest that others who are having trouble with AIU to file a complaint as well, and forward it to the AIU compliancy officer ( the email is on BBB ) and demand that she taken action to help with your complaint. Let me know how you all make out! Good luck!