Complaint Review: American Mensa Ltd.

• Submitted: Fri, March 01, 2013
  • Updated: Thu, June 19, 2014

• Reported By: GP — Provo Utah United States of America
American Mensa Ltd.
1229 Corporate Dr. W. Arlington, Texas United States of America

American Mensa Ltd. -Sin, degradation, gluttony, low living, drunkenness Arlington, Texas

*Consumer Comment: What do you "support," Frannie?

*UPDATE Employee: Will the REAL j.r. contact me...

*UPDATE Employee ..inside information: I know Gino

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: JR is not JonnyRhino

*Consumer Comment: You know what Brian, you're absolutely right

*Consumer Comment: @BHO

*Consumer Comment: anonymous charges = weaker than weak

*Consumer Comment: @JR - (United States of America)

*Consumer Comment: Mensa Bulletin

*Consumer Comment: Mensa

*General Comment: Sour Grapes

*Consumer Comment: Plus size women

*Consumer Comment: AX

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: plus sized women

*Consumer Comment: Daniel Gilmore has spoken!

*Consumer Comment: About that Daniel Gilmore...

*General Comment: um.

*Consumer Comment: Another member of the good-old-boys club

*UPDATE Employee: I'm not anonymous

*Consumer Comment: Thank you to Ripoff Report

*Consumer Comment: The Mensans don't have enuff to fight about on all their Facebook groups???

*Consumer Comment: Speaking of "dirty skanks"

*Consumer Comment: Mike's fan club

*Consumer Comment: Mike Ganopoulos

*Consumer Comment: lame

*Consumer Comment: You think you people have it bad..

*Consumer Comment: This is not a joking matter

*Consumer Comment: Typical Mike Ganopoulos.

*Consumer Comment: JR, the expert in all that's credible!

*Consumer Comment: NONE of this is credible

*Consumer Comment: Mike Gino Ganopoulos

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: dogs

*General Comment: Let's all jump on the bandwagon.

*Consumer Comment: GenX banning of Gino/Mike

*Consumer Comment: He attacked me too

*Consumer Comment: Just a question.

*Consumer Comment: No.

*Consumer Comment: Just the facts...

*Consumer Comment: Weak satire.

*General Comment: Thanks for the laugh

*Consumer Comment: This is not an accurate picture of Mensa

*Consumer Comment: Ah yes, I remember you!

*Consumer Comment: Similar experience

*UPDATE Employee: Mensa Society by a Real Member

"Welcome to Mensa. Mensa is free." Not for me, it isn't!

After getting my graduate degree from Brigham Young and leaving the university, I felt wanting for intellectual opportunities, so I joined Mensa, the alleged high-IQ society, and what a horrible shock I received when attending one of their gatherings, which turned out to be nothing more than a celebration of vice and sin.

The first thing I noticed upon entering the event, held at a conference hotel, was the presence of many women, from their 20's to their 70's, dressed immodestly and behaving suggestively. I have no idea what this is supposed to do with intelligence, and my suspicions were arisen almost immediately. Several of them tried to greet me, with hugs and kisses inappropriate for anything but a married couple, and with this greeting- "Welcome to Mensa. Mensa is free." What is that supposed to mean? I had to avert my eyes to avoid "wardrobe malfunctions" as this inappropriate groping was taking place. Eventually I retreated to the mens room to collect my thoughts and keep my mind pure.

As I walked around the gathering, I noticed people wearing identifying tags, with color codes and symbols, like some kind of a cult. Several people were drunk and alcoholic beverages (of which I never partake) were freely available. This is intelligence? There was card-playing going on, and some kind of board game involving sheep.

"Welcome to Mensa. Mensa is free."

Amidst all this debauchery, people stuffing their faces with pizza and alcohol, and immoral, degrading conduct, I tried asking a few people what the blazes was going on, and someone asked me if I had taken "the Vow." Vow? What vow? I had no idea what they were talking about. They sent me down a corridor, and as walked I passed rooms with closed doors and strange sounds coming from them. Some had music, some had laughter, and some had the sounds of whipping and screaming. There was one where they were chanting in some language I did not recognize. Now I am really frightened of what I had gotten myself into. At the end of the hall, people were waiting to enter this large room, and I heard some of them discussing this vow and what would happen after they took it.

Then into the room walked this heavy-set fellow with a beard, and a GOAT on a leash! I do not know what was done with that goat, and I would probably be sick if I did. I turned around and left.

"Welcome to Mensa. Mensa is free."

Yeah, free of morals, dignity, decency, and prudence. How can this possibly be a high-IQ society? I felt ripped off. From now on I am limiting my social experiences to church-centered activities. And I believe somebody needs to investigate this Mensa society, explain why there is so much sex and drinking going on, what this vow is all about, and what they're doing with goats behind closed doors.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/01/2013 11:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Mensa-Ltd/Arlington-Texas-76006/American-Mensa-Ltd-Sin-degradation-gluttony-low-living-drunkenness-Arlington-Texas-1022387. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Mensa Ltd.

What do you "support," Frannie?

AUTHOR: Anonymous - ()

Frannie, your posts are confusing. You "support" what?

a) Gino's written checklist for raping a fellow Mensan?

b) Daniel Gilmore's hostile confrontation of another Mensan, involving a firearm, at the Annual Gathering in Texas last year?

c) Jon McFarland's child rape convictions?

d) All of the above?

Will the REAL j.r. contact me...

AUTHOR: Frannie Long Island - ()

I support you and "happy" gilmore and they can poke her mouse anytime she (even subconsciously) lets them.

meanwhile, jonny, I am offended you did not contact me. please do so. Long Island thinks it'd be so cool to see you in boston.

As for the original poster over a year ago...  who cares....

#3 UPDATE Employee ..inside information

I know Gino

AUTHOR: Frannie Long Island - ()

I'm 60 yrs old, in GNYM 30+yrs, a life member a Hell's Mensan, and happen to know Gino personally.  He told me he had a big d*** and I told him he was too young.  He happens to be a nice fellow, and I have NEVER had ANY problems interacting with him.

We all know that any sub-culture is a microcosm of the real world. Gals have sex, are ashamed, then cry rape. Guys get some gals wasted, and take the train ride.  I have witnessed some x-rated stuff through the years and in my heyday I have "been there done that".  There's a lot of low self-esteem causing the people to permit themselves to play the victim, and there's a lot of desperation causing people to get into sketchy predicaments.

I am as bigoted and narrowminded as Gino, and this is due to personal preferences; because I KNOW MYSELF and can deeply and profoundly accept myself for what I am, and I stand up for my beliefs.  I have been known to get temporarily blocked from the American Mensa Facebook page, too.  It's also not my job to mother someone else's malfunctioning offspring.  I will advise some naive women, but WTF do you think Skinner's  Hell's Mensans had going on in those hottubs???   Behavior modification, sex waaaay beyond vanilla BDSM et cetera.

I have dragged a few wasted women out of positions when they have not been capable of saying the "safe" word, and have physically wrenched away a couple of women from lecherous men.  I have also screamed at a guy about groping gals in elevators.  (((REDACTED INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT))) No matter.

Go looking for what you want, and you WILL get it.

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

JR is not JonnyRhino

AUTHOR: JonnyRhino - ()

Mike/Gino’s defender could not have been “JonnyRhino” because “I” wasn’t released from prison until the end of July.  Moreover, I would be the last person to defend ANYONE’s inappropriate behavior especially if it is illicit.  I recall discussions with Mike/Gino in which I felt he had crossed the line of proper conduct, and he was warned to watch his comments.  If the group moderators have banned him then they have done their job.  An allegation of rape at an AG is an issue for American Mensa and the local authorities to handle.  The alleged victim has the right to remain anonymous, and that right should be respected.

In my case, Mensa had no action to take as my “alleged” victim was not a Mensa member nor did the “alleged” activities take place at a Mensa function/event.

Apparently, some of you don’t know me.  If you did, you would know that my reputation within Mensa is above reproach.  Try asking someone who actually knows me.  I was not known as a D.O.M. or a pervert, so please don’t blame me for your “creepy” Mensa experience.

For the record, even though I’ve been convicted and I have served prison time, I maintain my innocence and I will continue to fight my unjust conviction.

Jon McFarland aka “JonnyRhino”

You know what Brian, you're absolutely right

AUTHOR: BHO - ()

I think what you just said is true. I really don't know what I'm talking about. All I did is repeat a very old (20 yrs?) and well circulated story about Cathy which I have no way to prove and that really had no business being posted here.

Can you be an honest man and admit you did the same thing to Mike? With one exception, a man named Jonny who was convicted of a crime in a courtroom and served his time, everything said about every person in this so-called report is the rankest hearsay and rumor.

And I hereby anonymously request a truce between all parties to this flame war which does nothing good and brings disrepute to every member of Mensa by association.

@BHO

AUTHOR: Brian - ()

So "BHO", you're making some allegations against a woman, who may or may not be Mike's accuser, but you're not giving up your own name. If anonymous posters are "weaker than weak," wouldn't that also apply to you?  Then again, your credibility is weak, because the woman you named does attend Boston events regularly, and she is also helping to plan next year's Annual Gathering in Boston.

Your accusations that the woman is mentally ill also don't help your case, considering that, statistically,  mentally ill women are nearly three times as likely to be raped than women are not mentally ill.  If what you said about her mental status is true, you're actually strengthening the case against Mike. Oops?

anonymous charges = weaker than weak

AUTHOR: BHO - (United States of America)

Hey "Brian" no one needs to prove they DON'T have a criminal conviction to any anonymous jerk on the net who has a finger to type an allegation with. Dan doesn't, Mike doesn't, and you don't either. If you are claiming someone is a convicted sex offender there is a registry for that and everyone is encouraged to check it.

But the person who long ago made rape accusations in Mensa is not anonymous. Her name is Cathy Novick. She lives in Waltham MA. I think Mike can prove he has a squeaky clean record to anyone who asks him in person. But I'm not so sure about Cathy Novick given her record of false reports and of lewdness. Her record of being in a mental institution and the horrible reason she was fired from a job working with vulnerable people are private, but the lewdness and related repulsive behavior she shared with Mensans and that is one of the reasons she was banned from events by Boston Mensa.

@JR - (United States of America)

AUTHOR: Brian - (USA)

Where are you getting your information that Mike Ganopoulos was cleared of the rape charges?  From Mike himself? According to the woman involved, Ganopoulos lawyered-up to get his sentencing reduced to fines, probation and mandatory anger-management counseling. It may be true that he didn't serve prison time, but that's not the same thing as being cleared of the charges.

Mensa Bulletin

AUTHOR: Rob T. - (USA)

Check out the March Mensa Bulletin. There is an ad for an advocacy and social group for sex offenders, Past Walls. Maybe the Bulletin editor Roger Brooks meant to be funny when he put it on page 69?

Past Walls spent their advertising dollars well. Mensa is fertile recruiting ground for a pervert club.

Allegedly this, allegedly that

AUTHOR: JT - (United States of America)

I think you have hit the nail on the head and answered your own alleged question of why alleged Mensa doesn't allegedly do anything about these alleged individuals who allegedly prey on alleged victims.

It's because you and the people making these allegations in this forum have no credibility. Everybody with a brain knows that allegations made on a forum like this one where anyone can claim to be anyone and say anything can't be taken seriously. Being you would choose to use a forum like this one to attack Mensa and the people in it anonymously proves to me that in Mensa among the people who know you you have even less credibility than a random, anonymous poster on a scammer's website. This slum is a step up for you, when it would be a step down for any decent person. Sorry, but I would believe the Nigerian general with the $150 million he wants to transfer into my bank account before I would believe you.

I happen to know the people you are defaming here and in that respect I know you are lying. There is no contest between their credibility and yours. There are a few odd members who probably do have mental problems and do scare people with their socially unacceptable behavior. And this includes: YOU, and whoever else is writing these ridiculous things here. Do you really think libeling people and repeating hateful false allegations on a bathroom wall isn't as crazy and scary as the guy in the orange suit who is obnoxious with women? We would get more mileage out of throwing you out of Mensa than him.

Creepers

AUTHOR: TSN - (USA)

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Anthony Lash yet. He's a D.O.M. (Dirty Old Mensan) who hassles women who are one-third his age and then they never come back. He doesn't even pay his dues but he hangs around Oregon Mensa and the national Mensa groups anyway.  Great, so paying members are run off by a non-paying one!

Don't expect any help if Athony hassles you at the Oregon Regional Gathering. The RG Chair Jeff Fisher has his own alleged problems with women's boundaries, and the Regional Vice Chair John Recht has a history of blowing off harassment complaints. Then everyone wonders why attendance is down.  What a mess.

Reputation?

AUTHOR: Hector - (USA)

CincyPA: Wrong, it's not Ripoff Report that's harming Mensa's
reputation. The ones trashing Mensa's reputation are its sleazy
characters, the local leaders who ignore repeated complaints, and the
paid national administrators in Texas who are too gutless to acknowledge
the problems. This website has provided a venue in which these
festering issues can finally be aired.

Even if no change comes from all this, this conversation has already helped to identify some
allegedly predatory individuals, assure some alleged victims they're not
alone, inform the general public, and even educate a few potential
recruits. Ripoff Report should be thanked for helping to make that
happen.

Fattys

AUTHOR: CincyPA - (United States of America)

U can blow that theory out of the water as I am not female and not "skinny." I see what I see, although ur ASSumed qualification "skinny" is not my word to describe good looking. Fat arses run off GOOD LOOKING women because they hate them. Listen to the constant ragging and trashing of hot women. Look at who is in the room when this happens. UR fooling Urself if U think good looking women are in abundance at Mensa gatherings. Ask the fatties. U will hear the same tired reasons they hate on good looking women.

"Creepers" touch, kiss, hang and slobber. It causes women to feel mentally and physically sick. PD and the NO do not try to solve the problem, thus are part of it. We were a better and more economical club before there ever was a NO.

Herein the reason we have the members we have and the subject of this public display. Smart people come in every shape and size. Mensans come in degrees of ugly and fat. The vast majority of active members fit the description of morbidly obese, socially inept losers. Mensa has business and social problems that will not be remedied nor given adequate discussion time on an anonymous board, but fatty abundance is not disputed because it is established fact. Ugliness alone is another discussion.

Although lookers are RUN OFF, the club entertains us and we continue to pay dues and attend the same gatherings year after year because we accept this state of affairs. We are in agreement that this conversation at the Ripoff report is not helping our reputation. Nor is it attracting desirable new members, though I will sleep tonight as I did not start it. It was the purpose of my original post to warn against this. Alas, I have given in to the other anonymous posters to publicly display the truth in Mensa.

Mensa

AUTHOR: Hector - (USA)

Well, with Mensa offering all these great examples of manhood such as Mike Ganopoulos, "Jonny Rhino" and Daniel Gilmore, I just can't imagine why all the top supermodels aren't flocking to Mensa.  How can you resist them, ladies?

#15 General Comment

Sour Grapes

AUTHOR: LC - (United States of America)

What's the matter Cincy? Bitter that the guys weren't worshipping your skinny a** and ignoring what you call fattys? Funny, my friends in Mensa come in all shapes and sizes and yet there is no problems between larger people and skinny people. We accept that we are all different, all smart and we manage to gave a good time without judging people.

Plus size women

AUTHOR: CincyPA - (United States of America)

The fatties drive off good looking women. Want to see real harassment? Watch a hot woman walk in and look at the fatties scowling and b*tch talking about her. Pissed off fat arses ruin Mensa as much as old creeper men. If fat a**es would play nice, Mensa would have more good looking women. Ask the ones who quit and they tell you it was the mean fatties.

AX

AUTHOR: JT - (USA)

Hey AX, it's too bad that you didn't stay in Mensa, assuming you were ever really a member in the first place.  Your angry and sophomoric rants would have made you fast friends with Mike Ganopoulos and Daniel Gilmore. What a trio you'd make.

#18 REBUTTAL Owner of company

plus sized women

AUTHOR: AX - (United States of America)

ya i used to be in Mensa but i quit because the girls were all fat whales. guys were mostly fagz too.

that's why you have to write all this gay sh1t, it's because you don't have real lives. you only think youre smart. youre not smart enough to lose weight.

Daniel Gilmore has spoken!

AUTHOR: SF - (USA)

Listen up, you "snot-nosed GenX kids." "Morons," even! You should be grateful when a boorish provocateur slathers you with racial slurs, homophobic invectives and crude insults! Why? Because Daniel Gilmore says so! Kids, be thankful that Daniel Gilmore has graced you with his assessment that you are foolishly being "OH!-so-politically correct." And here you thought you were merely being considerate toward other human beings.

Mensa of Western Washington must be so proud of their philosopher king. All hail Daniel "Papa Perv" Gilmore!

About that Daniel Gilmore...

AUTHOR: Tony - (USA)

Oh, how I know Daniel Gilmore from the Mensa "TGIF" bar group in Seattle. A little over a year ago there, he and I minced words. I had him on the ropes in five seconds. He started to take it out on his wife, "SA". Right in front of everyone.

So much for "they're only WORDS." When he loses in a war of words, he gets really belligerent.

He abandoned ship and gave up, and made it clear that he'd rather be my boy than challenge me in the future. Then, he started getting really disrespectful to SA, who was sitting next to him. The old trope of, "I started trouble, and got a lesson, now I'll take it out on someone weaker." SA looked scared of him.

That particular occasion, he got snide and cruel toward SA. Snappy. I learned later from a regular there that I had been deliberately seated that night between him and a woman he had bothered in the past. A number of women avoid the events he attends altogether because he won't take a clear NO for an answer. He's been this way in the group since at least the 1980s, perhaps longer. His previous wife "C", who is also in Mensa, told me that he was physically abusive and he broke in C's house after they'd split.

No wonder SA looked so scared of him. Several people have noticed that she wears long sleeves even when it's not cold. Wonder if she's hiding something?

#21 General Comment

um.

AUTHOR: Muse - (United States of America)

At least the *initial* post discussed people in solidarity being excited about the gathering! Given that we usually are, it was a better representation of our group than the rest of this thread. Vitriol is not a social skill. . . .

This conversation makes me think that the next AG should have presentations on corsets, thrifty living, wedding traditions, goat cheese, self defense, and nursing homes. We can make it happen. :-)

Another member of the good-old-boys club

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (United States of America)

Of course you frat boys will stick up for one another! You're all alike! Always patting each other on the back with your jokes and having a beer. And you think these things are funny. And when we complain Mensa does nothing. What is it going to take?

You don't know what its like to be a plus-sized woman in Mensa having to be afraid of the gropers and the sexist scum who defend them. And the frat boys laughing and acting like its no big deal. And you want me to tell you who I am. Why, so that the child rapist can come and get me or Gino can punch me? When I complained to Mensa and asked them to do something they treated me like I was crazy. I am seriously afraid when I go to RGs now.

I'm not anonymous

AUTHOR: Daniel - (United States of America)

...and neither is the infamous Mike Ganopolous, a.k.a. Gino Polkamouse.  However, it seems we're the only ones who are not.  For those who don't recognize "Daniel from Seattle" (the very first post after the original "Mensa is free" diatribe) I'm Daniel Gilmore; my Mensa membership number is 1021717.

At LEAST on the Yahoo! elists we know each other...and we don't spout innuendo NEARLY as much as I've seen it here the last few days.  A few posts ago someone said the "rape victim" had shed her anonymity, yet I still don't know who she is/was.  We get a link to an "age-restricted" site (I'm not that young anymore, than God) but still no open posting.

TWO THINGS: I will never believe anything posted here if it's posted anonymously.  You snot-nosed GenX kids may have been raised to tattle on each other and let Mom or Teacher mete out the punishment, but we adults talk things out.  Mike has shown himself to be an adult far more than the OH!-so-politically correct kids who cannot connect with harsh WORDS...leading me to my second point:

Kids, they're only WORDS.  They can't hurt you.  It's especially ludicrous to see straight white people leaping in to stop words that don't apply to them.  Are they actually injured by the term "wetback" or "fag"?  For that matter, are illegal aliens or homosexuals hurt by them?  (The answer is "No.")  I don't know any illegal aliens, but the gay folk I know would rather those who use offensive terms be able to do so openly, so they can be more easily avoided.  I've met FAR too many earnest GenXers who claim to be 100% in favor of free speech, "but not hate speech."  Hey, Morons (yeah, that's most of you, GenX) -- listen up: The First Amendment is SPECIFICALLY about "hate speech."  If someone didn't hate it, it wouldn't need protection.

Go ahead and criticize what I just wrote, but remember: if you don't tell me who you are, it won't mean a thing.

Daniel Gilmore

Seattle, Washington

AUTHOR: NS - (USA)

CincyPA, are you truly surprised that Mensans have taken their complaints outside Mensa forums?  Seriously, now? From reading the posts above this as well as the other Mensa complaint on this site, it's apparent that keeping the complaints within the organization does little or no good, and, in the case of complaints related to Mike/Gino, could open oneself to his sleazy attacks. If Mensans didn't want to face this potential image problem, they should have addressed the issues. Sadly, there are likely many selfish leaders who are more worried about how this all makes Mensa "look," rather than having any concern for the victims.

Bottom line, CincyPA: if you choose to leave Mensa because of these problems, that's your choice. If others would like to stay in Mensa and call attention to these problems, that's their choice.

Thank you to Ripoff Report for hosting the space to bring these issues to light.

The Mensans don't have enuff to fight about on all their Facebook groups???

AUTHOR: CincyPA - (United States of America)

This is a perfect example of what Mensa is REALLY like when you have to be around them all the time. There are mega private groups for thousands of members on Facebook and these morons can't get all their fighting done without bringing it out to the real world. There are yahoo groups and google groups and gatherings and card meets and dinner nights and pub crawls and game meets and the list goes on and on and on.

But here the morons are again in all their glory outside the private groups for the whole world to see. Everyone get all your dirty laundry and hang it out. Hurry! The rest of the world wants to see your regal social skills. Pull your pants down and show your butts while you're at it.

THIS is what the smartest people in the world do with their time??? Seriously??? Do you fart in elevators? Do you let all your fat hang out of your cheap clothes? Blow your nose and burp on the subway?

How about if you quit - stop paying if you have problems?? The public these wayward Mensans are  showing their asses to here on a public site say Mensans are fat uglies with no social skills and no friends outside Mensa. We know Mensans can't get along with people in the real world and we see here they don't like each other. What you say here is if you had a choice, you would not be with the other people in Mensa. That is sweet.

Class X losers. That is what the world thinks of your public fight here. Think about it. When you get to work next week, the people who know you lack social skills there will know you don't get along with other losers either. What a life.

Speaking of "dirty skanks"

AUTHOR: KD - (USA)

Could Mike's defender "JR" be his friend "Jonny Rhino," the Mensan who went to jail for child rape? His alleged victims included Mensans, but the organization took no action whatsoever.  The anonymous commenter is correct that Mike goes out of his way to defend the trash who are ruining the group.

Mensans, your dirty laundry won't be aired in public if you do a better job cleaning it in-house.

Mike's fan club

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (United States of America)

Mike loves to defend all the dirty skanks and the drunks and crazy old freaks we have been trying to get rid of. There was a disruptive and senile woman in our local chapter that we had decided was no longer welcome but he would pick her up and drive her to Mensa functions and Scrabble clubs just to inflict her on us, despite everyone begging him to stop. It nearly destroyed our chapter in 1995 and lasted until she was too sick to get out. Reading about his habits I wonder what he was getting out of it.

He's an enabler who is friends with ex-convicts and all the trash who are ruining Mensa for the rest of us and when he is gone we will get rid of a lot of bad apples.

Mike Ganopoulos

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (USA)

How ironic that we have Mike Ganopoulos' defenders accusing anonymous posters of being weak, while posting anonymously themselves. Even his fanboys don't want their real names publicly associated with him. That alone speaks volumes. Or, perhaps they have their own murky histories in this org?

lame

AUTHOR: alfonso - (United States of America)

you guys are smart but you arent funny. Boring.   read Amazon reviews and you can learn how to do it.

You think you people have it bad..

AUTHOR: TheGoat - (United States of America)

wait til y'all hear what they did to me!

Na-aa-aa-aa-ah.   I probably shouldn't say it.

This is not a joking matter

AUTHOR: TinaG - (United States of America)

We have a monster in our midst preying on us and I would appreciate it if people would stop joking around! I don't know about any goats but Mike definitely is in a cult and they use it to attract young girls. If he has any contact with your children please be aware of this.

Typical Mike Ganopoulos.

He created an uproar in August 2005 with a post including a checklist
for anyone wishing to rape a particular member of the SIG.

Mike's longtime M.O. is to use sex to attack other Mensans. If you're female and have a disagreement with him, he'll start a rumor that he had sex with you. If you're male, he'll start a rumor that you're jealous because you tried to have sex with a woman he had sex with. He also brags about not using protection while allegedly having all this sex. At best, he's lying; at worst, he has an appalling lack of discretion.

JR, the expert in all that's credible!

AUTHOR: I Shot JR - (USA)

That's right, you tell off all those anonymous posters, "JR - (United States of America)."

NONE of this is credible

AUTHOR: JR - (United States of America)

This has got to be the stupidest discussion I have ever read on the internet, and that takes a lot.

I've been a member of Mensa for over 30 years and not one thing anyone is being accused of in this conversation is to be believed. I know Mike and I do remember about 20 years ago someone accused him of a rape, and the story was fishy didn't make a lot of sense back then, and after it all was investigated there was no proof and nobody was convicted of anything. I saw in his response that Mike qualified the accusation had to be "credible" and he was right, because it wasn't credible then and it hasn't gotten any more credible 20 years later. What benefit do you get out of bringing it up now on this anonymous and public forum? Obviously your goal is to attack an individual you have some petty quarrel with and make Mensa look bad in the process. Last night I wrote him being curious about who he beat up at the Denver AG and that was interesting being he wasn't even at the Denver AG. Mensans are always accusing each other of things and most of it isn't credible and there has never been an case where one member was PROVEN to have raped another. At least it has never happened since I have been a member.

This site is just a bathroom wall where anyone can say anything anonymously and without consequences to themselves. I feel dirty just posting this here but I could not sit back and watch Mensa and the people in it be attacked and keep my mouth shut. NOBODY is fooling around with goats or worshipping the devil at our events either. If they're having wild sex it's behind closed doors and it's their business. The goal of this "report" was to make Mensa look bad and you accomplished that. The worst part was your personal attacks against a member for no good reason using a website like this one which is full of garbage and lies. If I wasn't already in Mensa I don't think I would be joining after reading this and seeing how mean and petty the members can be.

Mike Gino Ganopoulos

AUTHOR: NAM - (USA)

Mike Gino Ganopoulos is not being accurate when he states that complaints against him have been anonymous. A woman who alleges that he raped her at the Mensa Annual Gathering revealed her identity, along with her allegation, on the GenX Yahoo group. She is still a Mensa member, and stated in that conversation that she welcomes contact through her Yahoo profile if
people have additional questions. She has also spoken about it in person at Mensa events, and Mike is aware of this.

To read the topic, you must be a member of the GenX Yahoo list, which requires verification that you are a current, age-eligible member of Mensa.

#36 REBUTTAL Owner of company

dogs

AUTHOR: hey - (United States of America)

" As recently as July 2nd,Gino responded to a post describing gays
dressed like dogs in a parade by posting a link to a vendor selling the
chemicals used to euthanize dogs."
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! WELL PLAYED! BAD DOGGIES!!!
This MENSA club is sick! I gotta join!

#37 General Comment

Let's all jump on the bandwagon.

AUTHOR: LC - (United States of America)

Is it really fair to make anonymous accusations against a person for things unrelated to the actual post? I may not agree with Gino on a lot of things (or most things) but I don't believe he deserves that treatment. (And if you are making accusations at least be adult enough to name yourself)

now back to the original "report". It is clearly a joke or written by someone delusional and should not be taken seriously. I'm pretty sure the general public is aware that we are not a bunch of virgin and goat sacrificing freaks. Although people's ideas of who we are may vary by what they think smart people are, that is low on the possibilities.

GenX banning of Gino/Mike

AUTHOR: F H - (USA)

Regarding why Mike/Gino was banned from the GenX list: the email in which the GenX mailing list moderators announced Mike's ban and explained the banning process is very long, but here is the section with the alleged reasons.

"Our online message board is governed by a membership-approved set of rules. The voting members decided that sexually-explicit language was allowed but that personal attacks, invasions of privacy, etc. were not. Gino has been placed on "moderated" or suspended status several times in the past, yet seems intent on posting messages specifically designed to inflame and offend. The rules specifically outlaw words "generally recognized as offensive" yet one does not have to look very hard to find postings from Gino denouncing "fags," "wetbacks," or "retards." Beyond the simple matter of word choice is message content. As recently as July 2nd,Gino responded to a post describing gays dressed like dogs in a parade by posting a link to a vendor selling the chemicals used to euthanize dogs. In the past, he has posted "all fags should be destroyed" only to later claim he was making a joke about cigarettes. He created an uproar in August 2005 with a post including a checklist for anyone wishing to rape a particular member of the SIG. He has written, "I think we should issue a fatwa calling for (another member's) death, for printing blasphemous 'verses'. It's only fair to treat him in the tradition of his own people." Comments such as "you suffer from MPD (Multiple Pakistani Disorder)" and "vaffanculo" are further examples from his posts that have resulted in complaints.

Regarding his flouting of list rules, Gino, in his own words, has posted "I insist that this be my choice, not the choice of some small-minded individual who believes I need to be protected from Christian's words. This latter is called "censorship." He has also written, "I call a homosexual a homo, and anybody who doesn't like it can blow me." Clearly he is unwilling to accept the group's rules of conduct, which were voted upon by the membership-at-large. While we support the discussion of a wide range of topics, we and the voting members do not want the group to be a source of pain, embarrassment, or offense to anyone. It is well within Gino's ability to discuss issues and express opinions in a mature and inoffensive way, but he continually chooses not to.

The bottom line is that this group is meant to be a fun, interesting, and safe activity for our members, and allowing boorish behavior to continue would be a disservice to the membership.

Of course, members are free to criticize or question the ExComm or other Mensa representatives, but there is a line that we believe should not be crossed. That line is the truth. In recent months, Gino has posted untrue comments designed to denigrate the ExComm and Moderators. If Gino wishes to post something like "I think the ExComm is doing a terrible job," or "so-and-so should not be elected," that is within his rights. But his untrue assertions of unfair treatment against another member, and his claim that the ExComm suspended a third member so that she could not run in the last election, are untrue and slanderous."

He attacked me too

AUTHOR: AnonymousAlso - (United States of America)

He is very violent and a bully. Punched my boyfriend in the face,dragged me down the hall.......if you don't believe me this happened at the AG in Denver 5 years ago. And oh Gino/Mike I think you DO worship the devil or else why do you wear that ring you have?   You are evil and disgusting. Your friends are even worse.

Go ahead and come to Dallas AG and try attacking me again,because this time I am prepared to defend myself and they will find you with a hole in your STUPID head.

Just a question.

AUTHOR: L D - (USA)

Mike/Gino, why were you banned by the GenX mailing list? What other Mensa lists have banned you? Just wondering.

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (USA)

Just the "facts," Mike? Your alleged rape victim made her identity known in Mensa and to you. Your claim that allegations against you have all been anonymous is as fake as "the real Polkamouse." One can't really blame accusers and/or witnesses for choosing to stay anonymous when the alleged perpetrator is noticeably large and antagonistic like yourself, but that's not what happened.

Just the facts...

AUTHOR: GinoPolkamouse - (United States of America)

1) Regarding the original poster G P (who is not me, initials are a coincidence) and the deeply offended gentleman L D of comment #2: Despite the fact that I have no idea what actually happened to you in your misadventures in Mensa, I am sorry to hear that you encountered sexual behavior that does not comport with your moral codes. The organization has no restrictions on faith, lifestyle, or behavior that falls within the law. Anyone who was drunk was over 21 and not driving and if anyone was being whipped, they had consented. In that respect, "Mensa is free," I suppose.

We have many members with unusual beliefs and practices, and I do not know if we have any members who take vows to Lucifer. But I can tell you for sure that I don't, and I don't know any other members who do.

If you saw a goat under these circumstances, I understand what you were afraid you might be seeing next. I can't say for sure there was no goat, but you can be sure that if an animal was either used for sex or killed in a satanic ritual at a Mensa gathering there would have been outrage, and the perpetators would have been turned over to the police. Being this didn't happen, you can be assured that any goats present at a Mensa event left with their bodies and souls intact.

2) Regarding "Anonymous" of comment #6: this is the real Polkamouse, and I assume you are referring to Report #1018251 on this website, which is as bizarre and petty as this one without being nearly as amusing, and that I believe is likely you wrote and are angry that I and others have treated with incredulity in other conversations. I have never had a credible accusation of rape or abusive conduct made against me in Mensa or anywhere else, ever, by anyone who didn't go by "Anonymous."

3) Regarding this site: I think I know what is going on. This is not a consumer advocacy site; it is a site where anonymous users are invited to libel one another, and the libel can be removed via an arbitration service available from the site itself... for a fee, of course. In other words- a blackmail site.  The fact that you do not have any real identity verification for posters and do not allow posters to include e-mail address or phone numbers where they can contact one another and bypass your paid service supports this conclusion. May the law catch up with you soon, and may your cellmate have a shmo like a horse and a face like a goat.

Weak satire.

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (USA)

A poor attempt at humor, likely penned by Southern Connecticut Mensa member Mike Ganopoulos, a.k.a. Gino Polkamouse. Perhaps the author is attempting to obfuscate the issues raised in another Mensa-related complaint on this website?

Is it any coincidence that Ganopoulos himself is well-known in Mensa for the crude and antagonistic behavior that the other complaint references--he was banned from the GenX group's Yahoo mailing list for it--or that there was an allegation that he raped a woman at a Mensa gathering?

#44 General Comment

Thanks for the laugh

AUTHOR: Muse - (United States of America)

I've been a member of Mensa since 1997. It's a social organization for people who score in the top 2% of a standardized IQ test. There are dues to join as well as a cost for the gatherings and everybody pays for their own hotel/transportation costs. There are no vows.

Because many people are good friends, hugging is commonplace, however groping would typically invite a criminal complaint. Not everyone is a hugger. To avoid offense, name badges have red, yellow, and green dots (like a stoplight) to indicate someone's willingness to be hugged.

Yes, beer is served to those who wish to indulge. Women typically wear jeans and t-shirts, although we enjoy dressing up in evening gowns for the formal dance. Some Halloween costumes are 'sexy.'

Like most social organizations, there's something for everyone in Mensa. If you come looking for friends, you'll make them. If you come looking for a hookup, you might find that, too. But if you found a goat, a bunch of people groping each other and an insistence to say the vows, you're at the wrong convention.

This is not an accurate picture of Mensa

AUTHOR: MargeP - (United States of America)

First of all I would like to say I am very sorry that these men got a bad impression of Mensa when they came to a gathering. Some of us are very moral people and do not take the vows or act the way the people they saw were acting. I know that the VL are very sexually aggressive with both male and female new members, and treat them like lambs to the slaughter. That is just the way they express themselves. On behalf of all the good people in Mensa I hope that anyone who saw this and was offended will not form such a harsh opinion and give us another chance.

Ah yes, I remember you!

AUTHOR: LaContesseracta - (United States of America)

Ha ha do you remember me? You should! You mean you didn't enjoy our time in Reno? I remember taking off your silly underwear and SWALLOWING A PIECE OF YOUR SOUL  Mmmmm that was gooood!

Mensa is free, and now SO ARE YOU! You should be happy and you should go ahead and take the test.

Similar experience

AUTHOR: L D - (United States of America)

I would like to mention to the gentleman from Provo who filed this report that I also am LDS, and went to a Mensa meeting for the purpose of taking a test, and was treated the same way.

There were loose women welcoming me and telling me "Mensa is free" and I am sorry to say I stumbled and fell. I was planning on saving myself for marriage, and I left the meeting in tears, too ashamed to put on my garments.

I personally did not see any goats or other animals but this vow was explained to me and as I understand it its a vow to Lucifer to be both a receiver and giver of light. This vow I would never take and no one should take it! I should have left as soon as I heard about this but I was weak and foolish.

This Mensa group is very sinister. They have been around for a long time and I am afraid they are behind a lot of bad things that no one knows about yet. Authorities please investigate, you need to investigate before anyone else is harmed. I was ripped off of my purity.

Mensa Society by a Real Member

AUTHOR: Daniel - (United States of America)

I have been a member of Mensa Society for almost 40 years, and I've attended close to 1,000 meetings of various kinds.  I have NEVER heard the phrase, "Mensa is free" nor have I heard anything about a "vow."

And while it's certainly true that some people do seek sex at a Mensa Gathering (just as they do at Kiwanis, Eagles, Lions, Elks, Legionnaires, dentists, and lawyer's conventions) I've never had scantily-clad women approach me in the manner described here.  Hugging is commonplace; groping is really not.  And the only goats I've ever encountered were brought in specifically to entertain the kiddies.

Your report, Mister Provo, is so far from what my Mensa experience has been, that I challenge you to provide details.  When and where was this meeting held?  Who organized it?  How did you find out about it?  Is there anyone else who will testify that what you wrote is true? Do you have ANY corroborating evidence, other than your word?

And did you even "join" Mensa (take & pass the test, pay your dues -- at $70 per year, reasonable, but hardly "free") as you stated, or just "look into it" as I suspect?  If you joined, the National Office will have your name on file. Why hide behind anonymity?  Goats can't hurt you (much) and you don't have to go into those rooms with the whipping and screaming -- unless you want to...<g>  But I have my doubts you were ever a member.

Methinks your pants doth blaze brightly.