Complaint Review: American Now

• Submitted: Fri, February 04, 2005
  • Updated: Fri, February 04, 2005

• Reported By:Amissville Virginia
American Now
Elk Ridge MD Elk Ridge, Maryland U.S.A.

American Now does bad work, is unresponsive to phone calls, and hasn't completed promised work. Ripoff! Elk Ridge Maryland

American Now promises next day carpet installation. You may have seen their commercials that seem to air every 5 minutes on daytime television (similar to Empire Today). I called American Now, and a representative came to my house to give me a quote.

As part of the quote, I wanted a carpet runner removed from my hardwood stairs. I asked to have all nails and staples removed along with it, and the salesman said of course that would be done. The salesman also told me that there would be a lifetime warranty on the installation.

American Now promised next day installation, but called late morning (the day of install) to say that they couldn't come for three more days because when they got to their warehouse to get our carpet, there wasn't enough. I would think that a good company would have checked that kind of thing before the actual time of install. This was a huge inconvenience to us because we were moving into a new house and couldn't move into our upstairs until the carpet was installed. We asked for a discount, and they said sure - but not until our next purchase from them.

Well, after this experience, that will be never! The day of install, the installers got lost and didn't arrive at my home until afternoon, several hours late. They worked for 10 hours, most of which was in the evening. I was concerned that the lighting wasn't good enough for them to work, but they continued and said that it all had to be completed that day. I think they just did not want to drive back out to my house, which was a couple of hours from their location. The installers left my house at 11pm on a weeknight.

The next morning we inspected the carpet in the daylight and saw that the seams were VERY bad. In several areas the carpet doesn't meet the wall completely (not tucked), the stairs still have many staples and nails poking up through them, there are long strings hanging out of all the corners and a large stain left on the carpet in one bedroom. I called that day to complain, and was promised a call back. Nobody ever called back, so I called again, and again was promised a call back.

Still, nobody called back. The third call got me to a manager who argued with me about the work. I explained to him that the work that was promised was not fulfilled, and that I was not satisfied with the craftmanship. He said he'd call me back. The next day I talked to him again and he said that the stairs would not be completed because the agreement was not in writing. I asked him what he was going to do about the rest of the problems, and he said he'd have to send the installer 'all the back out there'.

The installer was supposed to call me the next day to arrange an appointment. He has not called...it has been one month. At this point I don't want these people back in my house. I just want to stop hearing their horrible commercials... which by the way is playing in the background as I type this. This is a warning to all prospective consumers. I would highly recommend that you do not use this company. It is worth the wait to have carpet installed by real professionals.

Amissville, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/04/2005 11:03 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Now/Elk-Ridge-Maryland/American-Now-does-bad-work-is-unresponsive-to-phone-calls-and-hasnt-completed-promised-130119. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Now