Complaint Review: American Poets Society

• Submitted: Thu, March 25, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, March 25, 2004

• Reported By:Templeton California
American Poets Society
600 Reitertown, Suite 200g Baltimore, Maryland U.S.A.

American Poets Society Stolen Poems Baltimore Maryland

*Consumer Comment: I think a lot of people are aware of this outfit

On January 4, 2004 and again on the 8th of January I recieved letters from Maggie Whitford congratulating me for exelent peotry. They also included author proofs that I looked over and sent back with the note at the bottom that they would be copyrighted to me and so forth. I sent them back to Maggie and have not recieved comformation that they were recieved nor any word on the book its self.

If what I have found to be true about American Poets Society I find that disturbing and it angers me that I may have been conned into giving my work to people when their real aim was to steal it and claim it as their own. I don't know how many other people they did this to but I found the link to their web site through PoetryConnection.net and sent it to several friends. They also sent in work and have had no further contact.

In this case of defraudment I would like to see my work returned to me.It is at this point in time it remains stolen property.

David
Templeton, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/25/2004 10:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Poets-Society/Baltimore-Maryland-21208/American-Poets-Society-Stolen-Poems-Baltimore-Maryland-85333. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Poets Society

Hi, it is Texino. Today I am writing to you from a boat in the sea.

On the subject of poetry.com (they have lots of names but it is all the same place) I am not sure why they would steal your words because they are in the business of selling you collections of poems that contain works that you have submitted. They will also try to give you awards worth lots of money and you only have to pay for shipping and insurance. ($$$) They will ask you to come to Disney World and hang out with lots of other writers at a poets CONvention and if you don't buy that, they will offer to have your work read out loud at the ceremony for a fee. I think that maybe you will be understanding what is going on by now, so I will end by saying this.

I (Bozo Texino) an actual writer for a magazine in The U.K. made up a poem called "Bag of Oats." If you are familiar with the DaDa movement in poetry, you would find that this poem "Bag of Oats" makes less sense than most Dadaist work and that is saying a lot since the point of DaDa was to make no sense what so ever. Anyway, I sent this poem to poetry.com and sure enough they sent me a letter in the mail saying how good it was and they even had some fake handwriting on the page that said "Excellent Stuff!!!" If you want to, go to poetry.com and look up the name Texino (that's me!) and you can see this poem. As a writer, you might find it funny, but you will also know that it is not good work. poetry.com is smart to the point that you cannot get at them except by the mail or telephone. This makes it hard to expose them and they should be exposed because I have seen where people have taken their nonsense very seriously only to end up terribly embarrassed.

Real poetry magazines are plentiful in print and online and none will charge, if they choose to display your work.

I wish you the best of luck with your writing and should you discover a way to get back at this poet rip-off, please don't keep it to yourself...)