Complaint Review: American Publishing Group

• Reported By: Blair — Sioux Falls South Dakota
American Publishing Group
2504 Lemming Court Virginia Beach, Virginia United States of America

American Publishing Group It's a Scam! Beware! Virginia Beach, Virginia

Recently was contacted over the phone by this company. They had offered to give me 5 magazines for a subscription rate of $4.99 a week, which would come to about $20 roughly a month for 60 months (it was a 5 year plan). However, they offered a better rate of $68.28 per month for 19 months, with nothing to pay for the remaining 41 months. I did not realize how bad this was, because it was very early in the morning, plus I was stressed over things at home, thus making me very vulnerable, so I went along with it. I gave them my credit card number(at least they did not ask for the security code, because I did not know it at the time). There was some recording things they did. And I managed to write numbers and such down.

A few days later, I got an email from my bank stating "irregular card activity". Which I figured was from the recent exchange with this place. But something told me it was bad. So I called the number they provided for "customer service" and had them cancel. It went over fairly easy...maybe almost too easy. I'm not sure. But then later, I decided to call the fraud services report for my credit card and after explaining to them about a charge I did not know about (I knew the $68.28 one was from the company, but not a $29.99 charge), they were able to close my credit card account, and issue me a new card. I should have a new one in the mail shortly. The guy I spoke to sounded nice, but spoke a bit quickly. I managed to get him to repeat some things enough so I could write them down.

Since my credit card was cancelled, and after checking my online bank account later on to see if a new number had been implemented(and it was), I do not see the charges listed. So I think they were not able to get my money. But yeah, just be very careful. I'm going to be more careful from now on. I hope this company gets what's coming to them. I already filed a BBB report against them, and saw a couple other reports of them too. I also registered my number with the DNC list, so hopefully I won't hear from them again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/20/2013 04:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Publishing-Group/Virginia-Beach-Virginia-23456/American-Publishing-Group-Its-a-Scam-Beware-Virginia-Beach-Virginia-1044904. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Publishing Group