plot

• Submitted: Tue, September 26, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, September 26, 2006

• Reported By:Folsom Louisiana
American Reading Club
5175 Performance Dr. Cumming, Georgia U.S.A.

American Reading Club ripoff sweepstakes scam Cumming Georgia

The company originally contacted me in early July saying that I'd won a sweepstakes. I needed to subscribe to a magazine subscription in order to receive the prize. The guy said that they prepay their subscription, so I'd be billed everything up front, and then I wouldn't have to make any more payments, but would continue to receive the magazines. I never received my vacation package for four (that was the prize), and when my credit card was declined for the third payment they started calling me several times a day from an unknown number to demand payment.

They refuse to cancel the subscription saying that I have already passed the cancellation period, and I must continue to make payments of $85.60 for sixteen months or else it will go to outside collection, and go on my credit report. I tell the collectors every time to stop calling me (it's using up my cell phone minutes, too) and they say that the phone calls will continue every day until I agree to resume payments. I was not aware that the payments would continue for that long. That's too much money for a magazine subscription, and I really can't afford $85.60 a month. I was originally excited about the sweepstakes offer, but I have never received anything in the mail about it. I was also told by the company that I should have received a welcome packet that had included information on how to cancel, but that never came either.

Ryan
Folsom, Louisiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/26/2006 03:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Reading-Club/Cumming-Georgia-30040/American-Reading-Club-ripoff-sweepstakes-scam-Cumming-Georgia-212863. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Reading Club