Complaint Review: American Rental

• Submitted: Mon, April 21, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, April 21, 2008

• Reported By:anywhere Indiana
American Rental
15 Public Square Nationwide U.S.A.

American Rental Collection letter from american rental Nationwide

I wonder....are their collection practices illegal?? Here is an example oif a letter I recieved...and before anyone yells at me, yes I was behind in payments, but only 3 weeks...and Im supposed to pay every other week, something they dont seem to understand so I get more late fees added on.

Dear Renter (my name is written out)

After several unsuccessful attempts to contact you, I have brought your account to the notice of our upper managment. (their typo, not mine) Upon Speaking with Mr. B.H., our district manager I hae been instructed to turn you (again, their typo not mine) account over to our corporate legal department for prosecution in civil or criminal court. Which court to be determined by them.

However, I find it prudent to offer you one last chance to contact me here at this store. We need to make arrangements for us to meet someone at your home to pick up our items from you. At this point, this is the only option available to you without intervention of the law. Dont delay any further and call me today!!! You have until close of business this friday. Please bear in mind that this is your last chance. Our number is listed above.

American rental

The letter is post dated for the 18th, written on the 17th. I didnt get the letter til Saturday?? I did call and talk to them about the letter and they said to just come in and pay or the "legal letter" would be enforced. I made a payment this morning...but...what Im wondering is...is there anyone who knows anything about fair credit practices and what they can and cannot say?? ive recieved other letters from them, after 3 days late, that state they are taking me to court and requesting garnishment, not to exceed 5000. WHAT?! I dont even owe that much on what Im renting. I have 3 payments left! And I will never! rent from them again.

Sorry this was so long!

anywhere, Indiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/21/2008 05:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Rental/nationwide/American-Rental-Collection-letter-from-american-rental-Nationwide-327601. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Rental