Complaint Review: American Van Lines

• Submitted: Mon, December 03, 2012
  • Updated: Mon, December 03, 2012

• Reported By: Jeff — Jamaica Plain Massachusetts United States of America
American Van Lines
649 Mission Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, CA 9 Internet United States of America

American Van Lines MBM Moving ,North.Carolina and Relo New Jersey Stolen Items; Poor Customer Service San Francisco, Internet

During a cross-country move, I switched companies (because original carrier--United/Allied missed a requested moving date and then wanted $1,300 because it was "summer season") and decided to use American Van Lines after having a promising and highly professional; exchange with one of their sales agents.  Granted--changing companies for a cross-country move is complicated, especially when the property owner is on the opposite coast and not around to monitor things....in any case, American Van Lines sold the move to another carrier, so I ended up dealing with other companies:  MBM out of North Carolina and Relo from New Jersey.  I would never have contracted with American Van Lines for a costly and difficult  move if I had known that they "sell" their business to other carriers and relinquish responsibility for the move.  Twice, I had to start over with the new moving companies, and there were all kinds of problems with long delays for calls, missed dates, billing for payments already received, etc. I had to wait nearly two months just to launch the move from California to a warehouse in North Carolina, and then the final leg to Massachusetts.  When my items finally arrived--on a hot summer day--I signed the forms acknowledging receipt of the items without opening all 60 or 70 boxes....Big mistake.

I soon discovered that three items had been stolen (or "missing"), including a new vacuum cleaner and a new ladder.   I then went through the lengthy process of filing a claim with all of the documentation, but of course Relo had me over a barrel because I signed the forms that MBM had delivered my items.  Eventually, I received a form letter informing me that I relinquished any claims once I had signed the forms on the day of delivery.  In retrospect, I would gladly have paid the $1,300 and worked with a company that does not sell off its contracts to unknown movers.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/03/2012 04:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Van-Lines/internet/American-Van-Lines-MBM-Moving-NorthCarolina-and-Relo-New-Jersey-Stolen-Items-Poor-Cust-977491. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Van Lines