Complaint Review: American Van Lines

• Reported By: okc2flmove — Gainesville Florida United States of America
American Van Lines

*Consumer Comment: PAY $1,000's for LIES, RUN-AROUND, & APOLOGY

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: AVL Customer Relationship Manager

NIGHTMARE This was the worst moving experience I have had (I moved 4 times in the past 5 years).
When I got a quote, I was told since I was one of the first people to be booked on my truck, I would be given "customizable" delivery dates -- a 5 day window instead of 10-14 day window. My contract showed that pick up was to be on June 22/23 and delivery between June 25-29.
Friday, 6/17, someone called saying there was going to be a truck coming through OKC on Mon, 6/20. I was asked if there was "any way" that I could have my things picked up 2-3 days EARLY. I took 6/20 off work, and I booked a hotel room for 2 nights since I still had to be in OKC for work.
No one came on Monday, June 20; I also never received a call explaining why they were not there to pick up my things.  I called AVL, who had absolutely no explanation as to why my pick up did not happen. They claimed to call the driver, but "could not get him to answer his phone"...this went on all afternoon.
Tuesday, June 21:  Still NO explanation as to why my pick up did not happen. I spent HOURS on hold with customer service with absolutely no responses or explanations on Monday,; Tuesday I called my sales rep to help get me answers. After several hours, I received a call saying my pick up would be between 3:30-4:30 pm on Tues, 6/21. At 4:30pm, no one had arrived. I made phone calls and sent text messages to the driver no answers. The driver called at 9pm saying that he was still over 3 hours away from OKC and would be there at 6am on Wed, 6/22.
6/22: After swearing that they would be at my house at 6am, the driver/van did not show up until 6:40am. To make matters worse, it was one of the most unprofessional situations I had seen. The driver had an adult assistant, as well as two CHILDREN, ages 10 and 11, who helped them carry boxes and load the truck.
During my pick up, I asked the driver when he thought my things would be delivered in Florida. He did not know about the delivery date; when I told him about my contract, he laughed and said the company "lied to me" about customizable dates.
Thurs 6/23: I received a voicemail  "Confirming" my delivery for 6/29. He also said, " if there are any changes, we will call you."
I made my way to FL. On 6/28, one day prior to my CONFIRMED delivery date, I had not received any calls with a time frame for my delivery the next day. I made 23 calls to customer service, and at no point was I told where the driver was. After spending the majority of the day on the phone, someone called at 7pm and said my delivery would most likely now be on Friday, July 1.
Thurs 6/30 - Sat 7/1 -- A constant run around of lies, lack of answers, confusion. Again, the driver "wasn't answering his phone", I was never told where the driver was, and my delivery date somehow would get bumped by "a few hours" to "the next day" on a daily basis. Constant excuses--- running out of gas may delay things by 3-4 hours, but not 4 DAYS past my "customizable" dates of 6/25-29. Over these days, I called AVL 19 times and received no definite answers.
When they finally arrived on Sunday July 3, the driver still had 2 kids with him. After a few hours, it appeared that most of my things had been unloaded, the movers had not come up with boxes in over half an hour, and I was unpacking in my apartment. The driver had not come up for me to sign the final paperwork.
When I walked downstairs, the AVL truck was still outside but the driver was nowhere to be found. Then I saw the two kids carrying boxes up the stairs of another building of the apartment complex. I walked over and found a man in a Budget truck and told him I was looking for my movers. I saw the driver coming down the stairs of the neighboring building. He laughed and said he was "doing some moonlighting, a little extra side work." --- HE HAD NOT YET FINISHED MY JOB YET HE HAD FOUND A WAY TO MAKE EXTRA MONEY ON THE SIDE HELPING TO UNLOAD SOMEONE HE DID NOT KNOW. I told him I now understood why he was 4 days late.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/13/2011 08:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/American-Van-Lines/internet/American-Van-Lines-NIGHTMARE-MOVING-EXPERIENCE-Internet-752303. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on American Van Lines

AUTHOR: TRUTH BE TOLD! - (United States of America)

...the ol' reliable American Van Lines way!!!

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

AVL Customer Relationship Manager

AUTHOR: Customer Relationship Manager - (United States of America)

Greetings Mrs. Guillory,

The American Van Lines team sincerely apologizes for the outcome of your relocation. Since we got noticed of your situation and your complaints, we have been looking into the specifics of your relocation. You have already talked to our customer service department and have all our contact information.

If there is anything else we can do, do not hesitate in contacting us.

Best Regards,