Complaint Review: America's Best Defense Spencer

• Updated: Thu, February 09, 2012

• Reported By: Chris — Spencer Massachusetts United States of America
America's Best Defense Spencer
107 North Spencer Rd Spencer, Massachusetts United States of America

America's Best Defense Spencer Elite Martial Arts Unscrupulous Contract Beware Spencer, Massachusetts

*Consumer Comment: Philosophical questions.

First, avoid their unscrupolous contract!!!  Second I highly recommend trying another studio.  They seem nice at first, but they charge very high prices, but only care about your money and selling you gear, that changes every few weeks.

Here is my story...  We attended their Karate studio for nearly 5 years, having $156 charged automatically to our credit card every month and buying assorted weapons, pads and gear they continnually try to sell you every few weeks.

For some reason they required we sign a new contract and also pay "startup" fee, which I paid without question.  The problem is, I failed to see they had a "NO CANCEL" clause that means you must pay for a minimum 12 months.... odd since we were in our 5th year of membership.

Unfortunately, the quality of their instruction declined, probably because they began using teenagers to run classes, and basically order the kids to do unachievable amounts of push ups, sit ups, crunches... and maybe 15 minutes of action at end of class.  They completely lost my sons interest, and it became impossible to motivate him to attend.

After 7 months, and rarely attending, I discussed with the husband that regrettably we would stop attending, and agreed to 90 day notice.  Unfortunately they failed to honor the agreement and continued to bill my credit card.  I called Member Services (they charge your credit card), left notes in person and sent emails to discuss with the owners, but they would not return our messages or emails.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/08/2012 04:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Americas-Best-Defense-Spencer/Spencer-Massachusetts-01535/Americas-Best-Defense-Spencer-Elite-Martial-Arts-Unscrupulous-Contract-Beware-Spencer-Ma-836152. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on America's Best Defense Spencer

Philosophical questions.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

" First, avoid their unscrupolous contract!!! "

Is a contract unscrupulous merely because you didn't read it?

" The problem is, I failed to see they had a "NO CANCEL" clause that means you must pay for a minimum 12 months. "

This is common in many contracts.   While some service contracts will have cancellation clauses with penalties, it is neither required nor should it be assumed.

" Finally, I disputed with my credit card company, asking for only 2 months credit ($312) unfortunately once they provided copy of contract, we lost the case. "

Of course you did.   Your credit card company could easily see that you were wrong and trying to use them to wriggle out of a valid contract.   It doesn't work that way.   Sad that it takes a credit card company to exemplify the values of personal responsibility.

registered