Complaint Review: America's First Choice

• Updated: Wed, June 11, 2014

• Reported By: Texican — Kingwood Texas
America's First Choice
Nationwide USA

America's First Choice AFC Subcontracted my policy and then cancelled after 1 1/2 years Nationwide

Their subcontracted company went out of business, and cancelled my policy, and AFC wont honor the remainding time I had.

I purchased a home warranty in November 2012 and paid for 3 years up front, $1100, with America's First Choice (AFC). I got a special discount. A few months later I had to file a claim. When I called, I was told that I had to call DCI, the subcontracted company which handles all claims and repairs. Fine,, I called DCI. I had a hard time dealing with DCI. I eventually had 2 claims within 1 1/2 years. They have limited companies which are willing to take on their contracts of work.

About a week ago I get an email from DCI stating my contract is being cancelled because DCI went out of business. Not fault of mine, and I was to contact AFC.

I called AFC and was told that they infact did lose DCI, and were refunding money for contracts which were cancelled. Example as mine, I still had 1 1/2 years to go. I should get a refund.

I was told that since DCI paid out over $2000 in repairs in my house, which was more than what I paid in my contact with AFC at $1100,  they were not going to honor my contract policy and were not going to refund me any money. They said even though my policy was still valid for 1 1/2 years, DCI had paid for over $2000 in repairs to my house, which made us even.

How is this legal? They cancelled my policy because they subcontracted to a company, which I did not send money as a payment to. I paid AFC not DCI.

When I challenged this, they said that they could only offer me a new policy contract for 1-3 years, at a discounted rate of $475 a year or $1095 for 3 years. Why would I pay for an additonal year, when I paid up front for 3 years already?

Basically they scammed me out of a policy, because they subcontracted to another company, who went out of business, and want me to pay for a new policy. They still owe me 1 1/2 years of coverage. Their new policy is to now handle all repairs in house and not subcotract.

I normally dont use home warranties, but they have saved me a lot of money in the past.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/11/2014 01:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Americas-First-Choice/nationwide/Americas-First-Choice-AFC-Subcontracted-my-policy-and-then-cancelled-after-1-12-years-N-1153986. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on America's First Choice