Complaint Review: America's Service Station

• Submitted: Tue, January 15, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, March 12, 2008

• Reported By:Waleska Georgia
America's Service Station
3610 Marietta Hwy. Canton, Georgia U.S.A.

America's Service Station Did not do work requested Canton Georgia

*UPDATE Employee: You are correct Dean

*Consumer Suggestion: new tires front or rear?

*UPDATE Employee: Unfortunate circumstance

Took my car to the America's Service Station in Canton for an oil change and tire rotation. Marked one of the tires because it has a slow leak and I wanted to make sure I knew which one it was after the rotation. I was told that my vehicle was ready but after looking for the marked tire I found that it was still in the original place.

I explained to the man at the counter that my vehicle was not done and that I needed my tires rotated (as requested) and that it was something that I paid for. He told me I had not paid for the tire rotation because that is considered a courtesy. A courtesy that he decided he wasn't going to do because he said the tires did not need to be rotated. He informed me that I would be causing damage to my vehicle if the tires were rotated before they actually needed to be. After insisting he explain in detail what kind of damage he was referring to, he changed his tune and said that rotating my tires would simply be a waste of energy. Wow - does that mean that he is lazy and doesn't want to do what he is being paid to do?

These people are a joke. I am not even sure if they actually changed my oil. Lesson learned. And don't worry, I will tell every single person that I run into about my unpleasant experience. Just like I told the guy in the America's Service Station parking lot while I was leaving. He was coming in for an oil change. He got back in his car and drove off.

Kellie
Waleska, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/15/2008 06:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Americas-Service-Station/Canton-Georgia-30114/Americas-Service-Station-Did-not-do-work-requested-Canton-Georgia-300125. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on America's Service Station

You are correct Dean

AUTHOR: Manager - (U.S.A.)

The new tires should be on the rear when buying new tires, to avoid hydroplaning. As you read more into my article, you will see I have also stated the tires with the better outer treadwear are a determining factor.

Here are some good articles with links that back the information provided by Dean;

"When tires are replaced in pairs in situations like these, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the worn tires moved to the front. The reason is because new tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads because new, deeper treaded tires are more capable of resisting hydroplaning."

This site is a great article:

"When radial tires are used with bias or bias belted tires on the same car, the radials must always be placed on the rear axle. Never mix radial and bias-ply tires on the same axle. When you select a pair of replacement tires in the same size and construction as those on the car, we recommend you put them on the rear axle. A single new tire should be paired on the rear axle with the tire having the most tread depth of the other three."

As an ASE certified (and seasoned) technician, you can see my point. And I don't disagree with your statement at all, and apparently I just didn't explain myself completely. The tires on the above mentioned vehicles front tires had the better edge wear left on them, thus providing better traction when turning or in curves. And this is also based on a set of tires with even treadwear by properly rotating and balancing every 5000-6000 miles.

Thank you for your input, and it is good to know there are still great technicians that care about there customers out there.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

new tires front or rear?

AUTHOR: Dean - (U.S.A.)

You said: "With all due respect to Kellie and her request for a tire rotation on her vehicle, we did not rotate the tires due to the simple fact the better tires of the four (4) were already on the front of the vehicle. With any front wheel drive vehicle it is highly recommended by 98% of automotive repair facilities and also automobile dealers to have the tires with the most life on the tread on the front.
"

With all due respect that is old information. Vehicle manufacturers and tire manufacturers now recommend having the better tires on the rear of any front wheel drive vehicle.
If you search on msn or google for "new tires front or rear" you will find the info about putting the best on the front.
So in this case the OP was correct in wanting the tires rotated.
As a 22 year tech that is ASE certified I find it odd that you have not seen these topics before, they published articles in the ASE newsletter and many of the industry magazines as well.
Most of the tire stores in our area have articles and/or notices about the "new to the rear" positioning of tires posted in their customer areas.

Unfortunate circumstance

AUTHOR: Manager - (U.S.A.)

With all due respect to Kellie and her request for a tire rotation on her vehicle, we did not rotate the tires due to the simple fact the better tires of the four (4) were already on the front of the vehicle. With any front wheel drive vehicle it is highly recommended by 98% of automotive repair facilities and also automobile dealers to have the tires with the most life on the tread on the front. The edge wear is also a determining factor in the decision made here. The customer had come to our establishment with a complimentary oil change redemption (free oil change, rotation, and 15 point check). We performed the service to the customer's vehicle, and the decision not to rotate the tires was made by our ASE certified technician and managers, as the better two (2) were on the front already, as stated earlier in this paragraph.

Tires are recommended to be rotated every 5000-6000 miles, or basically every other oil change. Wheel alignments are also recommended to be checked every 6000 miles, and performed if necessary. There are also service intervals on every vehicle, whether it is new or used. In a matter of nine (9) months, the customer was recommended to have a transmission service, battery service, fuel induction cleaning, coolant flush, power steering flush, battery terminal (due to battery service not being performed prior), air filter, drive belts, and wiper blades. The recommended services are based on ASE certified technician's preventive maintenance inspections, and our ALLDATA service interval recommendations for each individual vehicle. Four (4) of the nine (9) services were recommended twice and declined again.

Preventive maintenance to your vehicle is crucial to the life of the vehicle. Whether it is a car, truck, suv, boat, motorcycle, or lawnmower, the mechanical workings have to be maintained for the longevity of the vehicle. Not paying close attention to the owner's guide scheduled maintenance recommendations and recommendations made by ASE certified technicians when your vehicle is in for repairs could decrease the life of components or more on your vehicle. Now I'm not a rocket scientist, but I would not want $20,000.00 worth of "Yard Art" in my driveway because of failed components due to lack of preventative maintenance.

So please, have your vehicle maintained as scheduled at one of our facilities. And feel free to call me if you're in the Canton, GA. area with any questions, comments, or complaints at anytime at 678-880-3134 or fax requests to 678-880-2895. Thank you for your time as we look forward to hearing from you all.

**price of $20,000.00 is used as an example only and does not reflect the actual price or value amount of the vehicle in this article.**