Complaint Review: Amerigas

• Reported By: Danny — Honesdale Pennsylvania United States of America
Amerigas
1027 Texas Palmyra Hwy, Ste B Honesdale, Pennsylvania United States of America

Amerigas, Amerigas Honesdale Fraudulent Business Honesdale, Pennsylvania

I contacted Amerigas, Honesdale, PA on October 9, 2012 regarding their propane services.  I spoke with Ryan Pulser who stated it would cost me a total of $197.90 for the tank filled with 100 gallons of propane, including installation.  Mr. Pulser stated he would need payment up front prior to installation which could be paid by check or Credit Card.  I advised Mr. Pulser I would visit his office the following day to make payment by check.

On October 10, 2012 I visited the Amerigas office where only Mr. Pulser was present.  He confirmed the quote to me again of $197.90 for the tank and 100 gallons of propane.  He stated the installation was free.  I paid the total amount of $197.90 by personal check.

On October 19, 2012 the Amerigas installer arrived at my residence with the 100 gallon tank which contained only 20% propane.  When I showed him where to install the tank, where my previous propane tank had been located for seven (7) years, he stated to me impossible because the location is not approved by law.  I advised him I had been inspected by my homeowners insurance agent several times over the past 7 years who never claimed the propane tank was placed in a liable location.

The installer called the Amerigas office to speak with them about the location of the tank, then advised me to dig a trench 18 inches deep and 10 feet in length.  He further stated Amerigas would give me the additional parts for free in order to relocate the tank.

The Amerigas installer returned to my residence on October 23, 2012 to install two (2) pipes; one from the propane tank to my cooking stove and one to my generator.  He inspected my generator and advised me I should not have stainless steel pipe and recommended PVC pipe instead; but, he did not have the PVC parts with him to complete the work.  He told me to come to the Amerigas office in order to pick up the parts which I could install myself to finish the work.  The installer then spent considerable time completing paperwork regarding his inspection of my stove, generator and other work.  He then sat in his truck at my residence for well over thirty minutes talking on his cell phone before departing.

On October 24, 2012, I went to the Amerigas office in Honesdale, PA in order to pick up the parts.  The secretary advised there would be a charge for the installation. I politely asked the secretary if I could speak with Mr. Ryan in order to confirm again that the installation was free. I did not have anything in writing from them other than the Payment Receipt in the amount of $197.90 which did not indicate what the payment was for.  I had not signed any agreement nor contract with them.

The secretary reacted to my statement in a hostile manner and stated the installation was not free.  I asked to speak with Mr. Pulser or the installer and was told they were not in.  When she left the front office to speak with someone in another office, I stepped back to see that she was, in fact, speaking with Mr. Pulser.  I asked why I was being lied to with no response.

When I politely attempted to reason with the secretary stating that I had been told by Mr. Pulser the installation was free, she became even more hostile and stated she would call the Police to have me removed from their office.  Realizing how unreasonable this company may be to work with in the future, I explained that if they did not supply me with the parts and installation for free as promised, that I did not want Amerigas to return to my residence in order to fill the propane tank which was still not completely installed; and, that I would like a refund of my payment in the amount of $197.90.  The secretary advised she would call me later that day.  I did not hear from anyone at Amerigas again on October 24, 3012.

I attempted to stop payment on my check paid to Amerigas, but the check had been cashed.  I called the Amerigas office on October 25, 2012 and spoke with Ryan Pulser who advised they were closing my account and would remove their tank from my residence.  I waited seven (7) days and they did not remove the tank.  I called again on November 1, 2012 and Mr. Pulser advised me they would pick my tank up in thirty (30) days.  On November 5, 2012 Amerigas still had not picked up their tank nor refunded my payment.

After not having use of my cooking stove nor my generator for nearly a month, I contracted with another propane company who installed their tank in short fashion, for free, after setting aside the tank belonging to Amerigas.  The new company installed the tank with 100 gallons of propane, no charge for installation, and their total cost was less than $142.00.  I was also advised by the new propane company that the  2nd Stage End Pressure test of 8.7 IN WC as listed on Work Order of Amerigas was inadequate and that it should be above 12 IN WC.  I am also advised that my stainless steel line was more than adequate. It has been apparent from the onset of my attempt to work with Amerigas, since I paid them the fee of $197.90, that they operate unethically and unprofessionally.

I am demanding a full refund from Amerigas.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/24/2012 07:13 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Amerigas/Honesdale-Pennsylvania-18431/Amerigas-Amerigas-Honesdale-Fraudulent-Business-Honesdale-Pennsylvania-973263. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Amerigas