Complaint Review: Ameritrain - SLM Financial

• Submitted: Fri, May 23, 2003
  • Updated: Fri, May 23, 2003

• Reported By:Laurel Maryland
Ameritrain - SLM Financial
6996 Columbia Gateway Drive Columbia, Maryland U.S.A.

Ameritrain - SLM Financial Ameritrain - SLM Financial are a bunch of crooks Columbia Maryland

I signed up for Ameritrain courses around August of 2001. I began taking classes in September or so and completed one of the two courses I signed up to take. This was the A+/Net+ course.

My next class was the MCSE with Exchange 2000. This is where my problems began. I am a member of the United States Army. Before my next class begun I was told that I would be deploying overseas in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Knowing this, I sent Mr. Steve Gouveia a withdrawal letter and refund request. Never got a response.

After my deployment, which ended in May 2002, I went to the school to get some assistance. I spoke to the head of the location and informed him that I sent a letter to Mr. Gouveia and I never got a response. He told me that he would try to get a hold of Mr. Gouveia and refused to give me a phone number or e-mail address. I never got a call back on this situation. After about two weeks I went back up to the school to inquire about my refund. There was a new school director who had no previous knowledge of my situation.

Again, I explained my situation, gave the director my contacts and waited for a response. Again, I got no response. This went on for several weeks; I believe I went through 3 or 4 different directors. The last director I spoke to said that he would be able to sign me up for another course since I had two years to complete all of my courses. So I agreed and he said he would be in touch.

Fast-forward to I believe June/July, I went back up to the school and to my dismay it was closed. Again, I was ready to set out on another military trip, so I had to do whatever research I could from Texas. I got in touch with the Ms. Hendrickson from the Maryland Department of Higher Education. She sent me a survey, which I filled out and had copies of all of the pertinent documents enclosed. I have tried to follow up with her, but have never got a response.
While I was in Texas I called SLM Financial to get a copy of my payment history. After 3 weeks and 3 or 4 phone calls, I finally got a copy.

In October 2002, I stopped paying SLM Financial. I have tried to handle this situation with these people before October, and all I got was the too bad we dont care what happened to you, just pay us attitude.

Since October, I have been getting several phone calls from SLM financial. They say that I am still obligated to my loan although services were not rendered. At that point harassment began. They began calling my mother, who is not a co-signer, just my emergency contact if I was to be ill during class. They have called her, been rude and have even hung up on her on a few occasions. The same thing has been occurring with my girlfriend who lives in my residence. They call her constantly, knowing that I am again deployed overseas, demanding from both her and my mother, a copy of my military orders. They also do the same thing to my girlfriend, they are rude, obnoxious and hang-up on her.

Also, at some point I received an unusually and seemingly helpful call from SLM Financial, which quickly became odd. The lady asked why I was not paying them. I explained to them that I thought they were criminals and that they should not hold their breath for my payment. She responded by saying that she was willing to help me. Her solution was that I apply for a 6-month payment deferral. To get this approved though, she said I must tell SLM Financial that I was having financial woes. I asked her to send me what I needed to fill out, if I decided to request a deferment. Several weeks later I got e-mail from her asking about the deferment request, whether I was going to send it or not. So just to be safe, I asked her to acknowledge in an e-mail that I never truly expressed financial woes, but that it was just her way to try to help me get a deferment approved. She responded by CCing someone else and then blatantly lied and went on to say the only reason she suggested that is because I told her that

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/23/2003 05:31 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ameritrain-SLM-Financial/Columbia-Maryland-21045/Ameritrain-SLM-Financial-Ameritrain-SLM-Financial-are-a-bunch-of-crooks-Columbia-Maryl-58099. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ameritrain - SLM Financial