Complaint Review: Analgesic Healthcare

• Reported By: Brad — Indianapolis Indiana United States of America
Analgesic Healthcare
7823 N. Dale Mabry, ste 202 Tampa, Florida United States of America

Analgesic Healthcare Rips off customers Tampa, Florida

*UPDATE Employee: We accept what the insurance carriers deem usual and customary

*Consumer Comment: I fully see the ripoff

*Consumer Comment: Common ripoff

*Consumer Comment: I fail to see the rip off

My chiropractor gave me a TENS unit to relieve pain. I asked how much it cost, and they weren't sure but said that normally insurance picks up the cost. I checked the internet and prices for this unit was $45 to $70 for the exact model I was given.

About 6 weeks later I received the bill for $795. They stated my insurance was paying $295 and I had to pay my deductible of $500. I sent them a letter requesting information as I was not aware I had received a unit of that value and they called me back.

They stated they charge retail, but also said that this was the Maximum Allowable charge from my insurance company and that this is normal. They retracted this statement and tried to restate that this is retail value.

Their website is very clear they state "Immediately Receive additional income" as they attempt to recruit other doctors to rip off their patients. This type of gouging the insurance and the public is unacceptable and we must start fighting back to bring down the price of health care.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/03/2012 05:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Analgesic-Healthcare/Tampa-Florida-33614/Analgesic-Healthcare-Rips-off-customers-Tampa-Florida-863489. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Analgesic Healthcare

We accept what the insurance carriers deem usual and customary

AUTHOR: Analgesic Healthcare - ()

It is unfortunate that you were not made aware of your obligation to pay your deductible.  This is customarily covered in our new patient follow up process.

All providers have fee schedules that are determined by several factors. As an out of network provider, Analgesic Healthcare (AHC) does not have contracted rates so it uses national averages for the charges.  That being said, AHC accepts what the insurance carrier deems usual and customary and writes off the difference.

Analgesic Healthcare is licensed, nationally accredited, has been in business since 1978, and is committed to excellent patient care.  Internet information can be quite confusing and misleading as well.  AHC provides FDA approved electro medical devices requiring a physician’s prescription, professional fitting, and monitoring.

We regret that your experience with Analgesic Healthcare, Inc. was less than positive.

I fully see the ripoff

AUTHOR: leavemealone - ()

The answer I received to the exact same "situation" was that if the unit is "prescribed", then they will charge the "globally accepted insurance price" for the unit.  This is part in parcel of the problem with our healthcare/insurance system as a whole.  It IS time for us to take the reigns and stop this abuse of the system.  To charge 95% more than a consumer can purchase this item just about anywhere else without a "prescription" is wrong, and to claim that "because they can", goes to show the lack of ethics involved.  It only proves that they make a ton on the masses who will not contest such usury charges.

Just my opinion.

Common ripoff

AUTHOR: voiceofreason - (United States of America)

Stacey, I disagree. I've seen news stories on doctor's offices scamming insurers, and ultimately hapless patients like this one, by vastly overbilling for such items.

They'll usually do this by fudging the billing code of the item with a far more expensive one.

If ultimately discovered, "Opps, it was a data entry error. So sorry!"

I fail to see the rip off

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

Internet prices are different than Dr prices.  I have to pay a deductable for my insurance until met then I pay the difference.  I fail to see what your rip off is.