Complaint Review: Ancestry.com - MyFamily.com - MyFamily.com, Ancestry.com, RootsWeb.com, FamilyHistory.com

• Submitted: Mon, March 07, 2005
  • Updated: Thu, November 15, 2012

• Reported By:memphis Tennessee
360 W 4800 N Provo, Utah U.S.A.
  • Phone: 801-705-7000
  • Web:
  • Category: Internet

MyFamily.com - Aka Ancestry.com - RootsWeb.com, FamilyHistory.com ripoff Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Ripoff Provo UtahProvo Utah

*Consumer Suggestion: Ancestry.com is not a ripoff...

Ripoff Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practicesby Ancestry.com aka MyFamily.com, Inc. MyFamily.com, Ancestry.com, RootsWeb.com, FamilyHistory.com

No. I did not renew any order for Ancestory.com or MyFamily services, but I was charged for a year in spite of this and the fact that I additionally had cancelled a year ago not more than a month after trial and was thereafter contacted by email and telemarketers, all of whom I informed of the above and that I was unlawfully billed over and over.

I continues get email subscription billing confirmations and was continuously charged, so , I wrote the main company and informed all of the situation whenever they contacted me. I mentioned I was so dissatisfied with this problem that I regret ever considering a site visit to this unethical company that continues to charge me for a service I cancelled not more than a month after trying it last year!!!

This company should reimberse me for this and if it does not I will take every measure availible, including leagal services to see that I am properly reimbursed for this and never improperly charged by this unlawful company again! Please be informed that this company has violated several consumer and financial laws and can be held accountable for those actions. I have kept copies of all contact and can prove this.

Private
memphis, Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/07/2005 12:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ancestrycom-MyFamilycom-MyFamilycom-Ancestrycom-RootsWebcom-FamilyHistorycom/Provo-Utah-84604/MyFamilycom-Aka-Ancestrycom-RootsWebcom-FamilyHistorycom-ripoff-Consumer-Fraud-an-134040. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ancestry.com - MyFamily.com - MyFamily.com, Ancestry.com, RootsWeb.com, FamilyHistory.com

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Ancestry.com is not a ripoff...

AUTHOR: Dustin - (United States of America)

I have been a user of Ancestry.com for the last four years (not continuously). The reason for it not being continuous has been due to my schedule and free time available for genealogy research. I have never had a problem canceling a trial membership before being charged, I have never had a problem canceling a paid membership before a renewal, and I have contacted the customer service several time over the last four years. The customer service has always been very nice to deal with. They are always helpful, and I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn't cancel a membership after it was paid (assuming that it was within a short period of time since the membership started). The only reason I feel the need to post this is that Ancestry.com is a great resource for family history, and I don't want people to be discouraged from using the site due to the reviews here.

In short:

- Call the 800 number (800-Ancestry) to cancel or report a problem.
- Like any bill, stay on top of due dates and cancel before the expiration to avoid renewal charges
- This site has more records on family history than any other and is money well spent for someone interested in researching family history.